Thursday, February 01, 2007

Seven Others For '07

Okay, so as I mentioned earlier, there's gonna be some 2007-previewing happening at The Film Experience (see Nat's post here!) over the next couple of weeks in which myself and others shall discuss 20 movies coming out in the next 11 months which we ache for deep on our insides.

But because this is a group thang, several movies of my choosin were thrown to the scrap-heap. So this is where I momentarily resurrect them like the foul undead and then lovingly blow their brains out with my eloquence. Or something. Most of these release dates are subject to change, for now. And without further ado...

Coraline - Henry Selick does his Nightmare Before Christmas stop-motion schtick with a Neil Gaiman kid's book that I, in all my adult wisdom, adored. Not holding my breath on this one, though, it probably will end up coming out next year. That stop-motion schtick? Takes some damned time. Release Date: TBA

Eastern Promises - David Cronenberg reunites with Viggo, and brings along Naomi Watts and Vincent Cassel (it seems obvious, now, that Cassel was made to star in Cronenberg movies). Crime families and midwives a'mixin. You had me at David Cronenberg. Release Date: September 14th

Funny Games - Michael Haneke is a god to me, so my anticipation for this is a given. Even though it's an odd choice for him to do an English-remake his 1997 film, which is still pretty damned powerful, I would follow this man off a cliff. He'd probably be filming it, and rewind my splatter in slow-motion several times, though, but that's cool. Release Date: Fall 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Really? Nobody wants to see this? Granted it's not the best of the Potter books, and it's an unknown director, and the previews aren't completely knocking my socks off, but come on! Pottermania, people! Sigh. Release Date: July 13th

The Mist - Oh I've spoken often enough already about this Stephen King adaptation to get my Mist-boner across. Release Date: November 21st

I Am Legend - Great, great book. Decent, if not totally proven yet, director. And Will Smith, which yes, is a warning sign. Maybe he can, ya know, try and not be Will Smith for once? Release Date: December 14th

Hostel Part II - While my feelings are decidedly mixed about the first film, I can't help but root for director Eli Roth to knock one outta the park. He's got the skills. And this time, he's got Dawn Weiner! Release Date: June 8th

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So this means The Golden Compass made it to the final list, right? RIGHT?

Also, you're going to Mexico with me, right? RIGHT?