Tuesday, January 13, 2015

I Am Link

.
--- Boy Magic - I guess I picked the wrong X-Men twink-chaser yesterday when I surmised that director Bryan Singer would be all over working with pretty young thing Kingsman actor Taron Egerton - Hugh Jackman got there first! Taron and Hugh are making a movie called Eddie the Eagle together, which is a true story about Olympic ski jumpers in the 1980s. The best part is this direct quote: "Egerton won the title role after a 'magical screen test' with Jackman." Oh I am sure he did. I thought we had something, Hugh! You looked deep in my eyes! I feel betrayed.
 .
--- Dome Driver - Have any of you read Stephen King's latest book Mr. Mercedes? I have not, I am taking a little bit of a King break (I feel as if I read a ton of him last year), but I have been curious about MM since King wouldn't stop talking about what a great villain it was he thought he'd written. Anyway Variety just posted that it's being turned into a miniseries by David E. Kelley, of all people. Jack Bender, who's directed a lot of episodes of Under the Dome, will direct, which instills zero confidence.
 .
--- Rockin Raven - Idris Elba wants to turn the 1978 book Poe Must Die into a trilogy of movies apparently, says Variety; it's about Edgar Allen Poe fighting demons in 1840s New York. What's craziest about this to me is this book was published in the 1970s? Talk about having your finger on the pulse of thirty years later. Anyway I don't think Idris is going to play Poe; there's also a sorcerer character who teaches Poe to kick ass and I am guessing that's the role he wants. WTF to all of this anyway.
 .
--- Manhattan Show - Well this is certainly unexpected - Deadline's reporting that Woody Allen has signed on to direct a series for Amazon! No word on how many episodes but it'll be half-an-hour long each and it is supposed to premiere next year. Mia Farrow just threw her iPad out her window.
.
--- Cherry Pie - Speaking of auteurs doing TV this news here is not surprising, we've basically just been waiting for the confirmation to come, and here it is: Kyle MacLachlan has signed on to resurrect Agent Cooper for David Lynch's return to Twin Peaks for Showtime. No word yet on who else is showing up; when I talked to Laura Dern in person that time I told her she needs to get on it and she said she'd do anything Lynch asked her to do.
 .
--- Pink Panter - Several trailers struck in the past 24 hours - here's the one for Paul Feig's spy-comedy with Melissa McCarthy called, well, called Spy.  It's kind of a forgettable title, but the previous title for this movie was just the character's name (Susan Carter maybe?) which also sucked, so until they name it Jason Statham And Jude Law Make Out: The Movie, this will have to do. It looks pretty funny though!
.
--- Hero Less - Another trailer hitting online was the latest ad for the Avengers sequel, which you can watch right here; I found this trailer terrifically boring myself, how about you? I don't recall even seeing Aaron Johnson a single time, much less getting his clothes torn off and having to do all of his super-speed special-effects buck-naked. Et tu, Whedon?
.
--- And Finally, we've already had a couple of quick small glances at the upcoming second season of Penny Dreadful but now there's a full-on trailer, which you can see below. Lots of little flashes leading to the money shot... which is unfortunately not the shot of Josh Hartnett ejaculating upon Harry Treadaway that you might picture from me using that phrase... but Helen McCrory in a bathtub filled with blood is cool too, or whatever. The show's back April 26th.
.
.

2 comments:

Lucksaw said...

You're definitely salty today, mister!

Today I finished Mr. Mercedes, and I have to say that the cat-and-mouse style of the novel is a great motive to turn the book into a movie/tv-series. As for the villain, I will entice you a little bit: I picture the baddie as a sort-of Dandy Mott in AHS: Freak Show ;)

Bill Carter said...

Re: "Poe Must Die"

I remember really liking that book! I assume Idris Elba would be playing Pierce Figg, the English boxer who partners w/Poe after the villain has killed Figg's family.

The novel had a v interesting take on Poe. A number of other real-life figures show up in the course of the book.

Gonna re-read this one this week.