Monday, January 12, 2015

Me And John And Hugh Makes Three

.
As promise-slash-threatened last week I had a healthy round of star-fucking this weekend - I went the opening night party of John Waters art exhibit at the Marianne Boesky gallery here in Manhattan and as you see there John was very much in attendance (my boyfriend took that picture but it turned out better than the one I shot so I'm stealing it.) It was too crowded that night to really take in the art itself so I'm going to have to go back - especially to see Kiddie Flamingos, his child-version of Pink Flamingos, which they had screening in a little curtained-off area of the gallery and was a total clusterfuck that night. But it was worth going to the opening for several reasons! Like...
.
.
... that happening in front of me. Levelheaded version of the story: It wasn't a snub at all; John Waters just didn't seem to see Jarmusch at first and said hello to somebody standing right beside him and then moved on; later I saw the two of them talking perfectly amicably. Although how one walks by Jim Jarmusch with that hair of his without noticing him is beyond me... but this is John Waters, a man who will wear that skunk-striped circus coat and can totally get away with it, so it's not my job to ever truly be in his shoes. His very very expensive shoes. Next up...

... I went and saw Hugh Jackman's play The River on Broadway and I did something I've never done before (no not even when I saw Jake last week) -- I waited outside after the show (in the nightmarish cold) to get his autograph on my Playbill. And as you can see there (via my Instagram) it worked! I didn't say any words to him because there were Midwestern women shrieking on every side of us but he was right up in my face, a foot away at most, our eyes locked, and I went entirely zen blank. Staring into Hugh Jackman's eyes is really good for you, you guys! I felt totally at peace there.

That's my hand handing him my Playbill. 
I had no idea what I was doing at that moment.
.

No comments: