Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Today's Fanboy Delusion

Today I'd rather be....

... helping James Franco with his skinny jeans.

Those shots are of course from James' cameo in the Veronica Mars movie, which was very funny - and I suppose I mean both his cameo and the movie. I should probably review that thing, shouldn't I? So here's the deal - it felt like home. It was lovely. Everybody seemed to slip right back into their roles with ease, and I loved that Rob Thomas kept everything relatively small - the mystery was old-school, it would've fit right in on the show, and was doled out with all the wit and wisdom we'd come to expect.

All that said I was pretty displeased with the ending... 
obviously spoilers ahead, after the jump... 

I was trying to figure out why I didn't like the end and then I saw this article (thanks Joe) and it kinda pinned down a lot of my problems. I was never really crazy about the Veronica-Logan relationship (or Jason Dohring in general, it must be said), and Veronica's regression at the end saddened me. And it is a total regression. Veronica deserves better than going back to Neptune - she paid her dues, hell she paid twenty people's worth of dues, to get out of there. If I thought another movie were possible I'd be less wary of the ending, but this one was a miracle and I'm afraid somebody thinks we're supposed to cheer on the way it ends, when it just seemed sad and small to me.

I'm not ignorant of the fact that maybe Thomas is aware of this - mirroring Veronica's return to Neptune with Weevil's return to his gang, alongside her speech over these scenes, makes it clear that maybe he knows where all this fan servicing has led us. But if that's all we ever get of Veronica that's a shitty, sad way to end it. Veronica's better than this, dammit! She should be in New York, with Piz, eating yogurt with Jamie Lee Curtis. Obviously!

Basically, we must demand a second movie now. 
Perhaps that was Rob's plan after all?
.

3 comments:

will h said...

#TeamPiz #TeamDick

Anonymous said...

I thought the ending was transparently trying to set up a sequel or even a new season of the show. (Note how they allow for Dick to remain as a character by revealing him to be totally innocent in the death on the boat.) If neither of those materialize, then yes, saddest movie ending ever. Poor Piz!

The Bloody Munchkin said...

Because I knew there was going to be a series of books where Veronica basically heads back into Neptune, I guess it didn't bother me.

There were so many unanswered problems I still want closure to in the Mars Universe, that I guess I felt okay with it. If Veronica being thrown back into Neptune means we'll finally come full circle on the Kane harddrive scandal in the final episode, then fine.

I wasn't completely happy with the Piz break up, but they effectively turned Piz into Logan in that moment, so I let it slide.

We as fans do deserve some Piz closure. Somebody get that character a nice Mac. Just sayin'