Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I Am Link

.
--- Over Her Shoulder Boulder Holders - Bette Midler is going to perform at the Oscars! If you can believe it, this is her first time performing, too. (That is insane.) Nathaniel thinks she'll be singing over the corpse montage, and he's probably right - he offers a bunch of much more enticing options from her musical moments; the thought of "Otto Titsling" happening on the Oscar stage literally, literally, made my heart skip a beat. I'd also be fine with "Oh Industry," for the record. Or the birthday bunny boy song. Really anything from Beaches. Oh god now I need to watch Beaches.

--- Timeless Threesome - Criterion just released one of their predictably magnificent editions of Francois Truffaut's masterpiece Jules and Jim, stocked to the gills with bonus content to drool over, but it's our pal John's queer read on the flick over at Pop Matters that is not to be missed. It's been awhile since I've seen the movie; nigh time to revisit, I'd say.

--- Her Versus Her -  I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the video because it sounds awkward and I don't want to associate Spike Jonze with awkward - I'm content to associate him with "adorable" and "climb onto my lap immediately" - but here he is getting into a bunch of awkwardness with a journalist who didn't like Her at all. 

--- Hustle Forth - A mid-point reminder to head over to The Film Experience and vote on this week's "Beauty Vs. Beast" poll, where we're asking you to pick sides between the lads and ladies of David O. Russell's American Hustle. I can't say I'm surprised at who's winning, but I am surprised at how close it is between the men.

--- Train Wreck - I hated Judd Apatow's last movie, the phenomenally execrable This is 40, so so so very much that I'm having trouble being enthusastic about anything coming from him even though he's shaking things up an awful lot - the film is written by the comedian Amy Schumer, who is also starring. (I have no idea who she is.) It also stars Bill Hader. (I know who he is. I love him.) And now making it impossible for me to ignore, my beloved Brie Larson has joined the movie. (Thanks Mac) Fine, Judd Apatow! I will give you another chance dammit. I mean I love Girls too, so I suppose I can do this.

--- Golden Dozen - Did you know that once upon a time way way back in their first decade of existence the number of Best Picture nominees at the Academy Awards fluctuated all over the place, from three to a dozen? That year with three must've sucked. Over at TFE Tim takes a look at one of the years with a dozen nominees, 1934, which included two of the best romantic comedies of all time. Tim even manages to get a dig in at human hambones Dick Powell and Ruby Keeler, be still my heart. (I hate them. Joan Blondell forever!)

--- Far Eastern Heroes - Joss Whedon will be shooting the second Avengers movie in Seoul, South Korea, of all places. This makes me sad - I was hoping I'd get to stumble upon them shooting here in New York again. Chris Evans would catch my eye, toss me over his shoulder, carry me to the nearest hotel and mount me on his adamantium shield... what was I talking about?

--- Brother Bill - I'm saving this for lunchtime reading since it's long but The Dissolve has an impressively hefty piece up on the career of Bill Murray up; I rewatched Groundhog Day the other night, ever the charmer, so Murray's the mood.

--- Music For Insects - Edgar Wright is re-teaming with frequent scoring companion Steven Price for his Ant-Man movie; Price most recently did the score (and got nommed for an Oscar) for Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity, which I just fucking adore. I know some people think it's too much but I loooooove that soundtrack. That deep thrumming zipping synth sound that ratchets up as the debris comes flying gives me tingles down there.

--- And Finally when we first heard that Homeland's Rupert Friend was going to be playing the Hitman (replacing Timothy Olyphant) in Agent 47 we wondered what he was gonna look with a shaved head (more than wonder, we outright thought it wouldn't work on him) - well now we have a picture and... I'm undecided. What do y'all think?
.
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy Schumer is hilarious. Check out some of her stand-up and roasts online. She also has a show called inside Amy Schumer on Com Central. i'd watch anything she's written.

MM in DC