Monday, June 17, 2013

Why Oh Y

.
The last I'd heard about a movie being made out of Brian K. Vaughn's comic series Y The Last Man, a personal fave, was in January when a dude named Dan Trachtenberg was hired to direct it. Since then I haven't seen any other news... until today. In an interview at Crave with David Goyer, aka the screenwriter of Man of Steel, the topic is broached, and...

Crave: Are you still producing Y: The Last Man

Goyer: I am. We’ve got a script that’s as close as it’s ever been, so knock on wood. 

Crave: I’m knocking on wood right now. 

Goyer: Yeah, that could go into production next year. 

Crave: Can that be condensed into one movie? Is that going to be your plan? It’s got to be a journey… 

Goyer: The first movie is meant to function as a standalone, but hopefully continue. Hopefully there will be others. 

There's been talk of it being turned into a mini-series, which is why that last question's asked - the series ran for sixty issues, and covers a whole lot of story. It's been quite awhile since I read the books, I really ought to go back and re-read it at this point. I've been clamoring for these movies for ages now. So long that I'm not sure my original pick to play the main character of Yorick - Joseph Gordon Levitt - is even right anymore. Not that I have a better suggestion. I feel like he needs to be mid to late-twenties? Like, Logan Lerman comes to mind but he's still too young, I think. Course maybe it'd smart to cast younger if they want to do a series of movies, so they can keep pace with the story.

1 comment:

ampersand said...

Y The Last Man should've been a TV series like The Walking Dead, it has a very episodic quality to it and is better suited for serialization, especially since Goyer is involved (Da Vinci's Demon's is amazing!). I can imagine people sitting around wondering what secret Dr. Mann will reveal to Yorick in the season five finale or how a cliffhanger will play out at the start of a new season.

A movie will feel rushed and it won't be as poignant and the plot twists won't be as impactful in a two hour movie as it would've been in a weekly series.