Wednesday, January 09, 2013

The Time For Yorick Is Now

.


I have no idea why I've already seen the above, a live-action fan film version of the video game Portal, I have never played Portal, I don't really even know anything about it except what I could gather from watching that short ages ago. But I have seen it. And now I am happy to have seen it because I feel totally knowledgeable about something for a change! Cuz its director is a dude named Dan Trachtenberg, and he has apparently just scored the gig to direct no less than Y: The Last Man, aka the movie adaptation of Brian K. Vaughn's really freaking fantastic comic series - which is about a dude named Yorick who's the last guy standing when a plague kills all of the men on the planet, leaving him alone with billions of women - which I've been clamoring for for years now. You may recall that this came close to getting made with the director DJ Caruso (Disturbia, I Am Number Four) and Shia LaBeouf in the lead, a bullet I am glad to have missed. As for this Trachtenberg guy, I can't really judge. The above short is hella fun and inventive to be sure, but Y: The Last Man is more about relationships and character than it is about special effects. There's plenty of action, sure, but it's not so much a spectacle or anything. But I wish him well; I would looooove to have a great movie of this. Now we go back to the drawing board on who should play Yorick. Is Joseph Gordon Levitt too old now? He was my pick for a long time...

No comments: