Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Life, Uh, Finds A Way

.
Hey look it's me wrangling the Spinosaurus! (via) Gosh I need to go back to Universal Studios some time. Between a renewed longing for dino-action and the Harry Potter "Wizarding World" that I haven't gotten to see yet, it's a must! I want some Butterbeer, dammit.

So anyway when I watched Jurassic Park in 3D last week I did intend to keep my eyes peeled for what I considered to be the best shot in the movie for The Film Experience's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" series, which is taking on the film today, but it became a problem - I kept getting sucked into the high adventure of it all and totally forgetting that I had a duty. 

No, not a doody. Ha ha, poop joke! I don't get to make those often, but if they're good enough for Jurassic Park they're good enough for me. (Such standards I set for myself.)

That shot above is not, by the way, my pick for the movie's best shot. Picking that as the movie's best shot would imply things about this movie I don't want to imply (as would the loving shot of the Jurassic Park merchandise inside the movie, which I momentarily considered) since I whole-heartedly and unabashedly adore this movie, even while I can understand people's criticisms of it. Indeed so deeply entrenched is my love I'm having a hard time picking one shot... so eff it, I am picking two. They have very different goals anyway - the wonder versus the horror, the spectacle versus the nitty gritty.

First, the shot that encapsulates the good stuff:

Every time I see that shot - the fifteen times I've seen it in the theater and the countless and I mean countless times on video and DVD and when they're playing it on cable - I just soar. I am six years old again in the back-yard playing with my little rubber thunder-lizards in the grass. Absolute and total movie magic of the highest order. Science is wonderful!

And second, the shot that best expresses the dark side:

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever that there'd be a projection of genetic code in the room - I think it's maybe supposed to be coming off a computer screen of all places? But who cares when it's such a brilliant visual wrapping up the entire idea of this story in one fell swoop. That animal is made up out of A's and C's and T's and G's, it is just science after all, but you put it all together and what have you got other than something sniffing out the best way to eat off your face? Science is scary!
.

2 comments:

Joey said...

I ALWAYS wondered what that was! I remember seeing it as a kid, and demanding to know from my mother what it was, and she had no idea. I bothered her for days about it.

billybil said...

You should show pics of yourself more often - you're cute!!!