Monday, January 30, 2012

The Town That Dreaded Spark Plug

.

Seems downright obscene that I hadn't seen the 1976 true-story slasher The Town That Dreaded Sundown until this weekend, but the problem can probably be pin-pointed to two things. One: it's impossible to find - it's never been released onto DVD and the VHS-quality copies on the internet are pretty shoddy-looking. Thankfully TCM aired the film - and a beautifully pristine copy at that - last week. And two: how very much I disliked the experience of watching the director Charles B. Pierce's previous low-budget pseudo-doc horror flick The Legend of Boggy Creek. God that movie annoyed me. But it's a shame I was put off for so long, because what works in The Town That Dreaded Sundown works incredibly well. 

And lucky for us, what works is all the scary stuff. The stalking and killing scenes are genuinely terrifying - I'm a sucker for a bag-head killer, and the Phantom Killer (as he was called in the real world case this film's based on) is a total creeper. He's got the scary wild eyes peering out from inside the bag that are given, but he adds a dash of hyperventilating, sucking the bag in and out at a furious rhythm, that pushes it over into even more unsettling territory. And these scenes are shot beautifully, lighting up the middle-of-nowhere forests just enough to show us all we don't want to see. The seemingly amateur (except for Gilligan's Island's own Mary Ann, aka Dawn Wells!) actors sell their fright really well in ways that don't feel redundant to these sorts of scenes that I've seen before, which gives them an honesty that's... discomfiting, to put it mildly. And holy hell, that trombone.


But. Those scenes amount to a little bit less than half the movie's runtime. The rest of the movie is an inexplicable Hee Haw episode, with banjos twanging while a slack-jawed yokel cop named Spark Plug dresses up in lady clothes to get his fake tits honked and then falls into mud puddles. So you take the good, and you fast-forward the bad, I guess. The good is very good! Alas the bad is very bad. A remake - sans Spark Plug - wouldn't be a bad idea, if you ask me. 
.

5 comments:

RJ said...

Haha! I saw the movie this guy made right before Town That Dreaded Sundown on TV a month or so ago. It's kind of a mix between True Grit and The Last House on the Left, I guess ... The Last House on the Left parts are better than the True Grit parts. The Winds of Autumn, it's called. The girl who played Faye Dunaway's daughter in Chinatown is in it.

StinkyLulu said...

It will likely prove unsurprising to you that this film was deeply formative in my cinephiliac youth.

Jason Adams said...

RJ - Is it worth me seeking out?

Stinky - Lucky. I think it would've been the same for me if I'd been exposed to it. Not that I wasn't exposed to plenty of twisted shit that turned me into enough of a loon already. Obviously. ;) But you can always use more!

RJ said...

No. The main kid is awful.

Anonymous said...

The town referenced in the title is Texarkana, Arkansas. I grew up in Arkansas and remember this movie's release, and my 12 year old self being scared shitless! Saw it originally at a drive-in theatre, surrounded on three sides by wooded areas full of god-knows-what. We sat in lawn chairs, by the snack bar and we just knew the guy with the bag over his head was just waiting to nab us as we walked back to our parents cars.