Thursday, January 26, 2012

Now Now Release It Now!

.
So I've mentioned it a couple times here but if you've been paying any attention to Sundance then you've probably heard the buzz about the "found footage" anthology horror movie V/H/S. I've been yammering about it because 1) I love anthology movies, 2) I love scary movies that are actually scary, and they say it is, 3) I love "found footage" movies in general, as my review of The Tunnel just the other day reinforced, but mostly 4) One of the directors of one of the segments is Ti West, who has never made an uninteresting horror movie, and I've seen all of his movies now so I am an expert and you should listen to me. 

The other directors that worked on V/H/S are as follows: David Bruckner, who was one of the three directors on The Signal, which has a lot of good stuff to it (my favorite section of The Signal is the freaky funny middle one, which was directed by Jacob Gentry, who's gone on to make the Super Psycho Sweet Sixteen slasher flicks for MTV, of all things); Glenn McQuaid, who made the grave-robber comedy I Sell the Dead, which I've been meaning to watch for ages; a directing collective of four dudes calling themselves Radio Silence who've made some shorts I'm not familiar with; Adam Wingard, who made A Horrible Way To Die, which I thought I'd reviewed but apparently didn't and now I only vaguely remember it; and then Joe Swanberg, who's made a name for himself as one of the leading men of Mumblecore (he's one of the reasons Greta Gerwig is Greta Gerwig, so bow down) with Hannah Takes the Stairs and LOL, amongst others.

Anyway, those are the dudes that have gathered their disturbed wits about them to make V/H/S, and the big news this morning, the reason I'm rambling about all this, is the studio Magnolia has bought the movie and is going to release it first on VOD, as they've been doing with all their horror films, and then as they put it it'll get "a significant theatrical release." Ride the buzz wave, Magnolia! Get this thing out ASAP! Or just get it out to me ASAP! Me! Mostly I just want to avoid spoilers and the longer this thing hovers in the ether the more likely I'll get something spoiled for myself. Also mostly I just want it. Now!
.

No comments: