Monday, January 23, 2012

The Tunnel in 150 Words or Less

.

It owes more to its "found footage" forebears than it probably should - there are moments that, if they're not intended as homages to The Blair Witch Project and [REC] (and The Descent for that matter), are too distractingly similar - but like those movies it got a rise out of me all the same. I know these flicks aren't everybody's cuppa, but I'm a pretty easy mark for them. They get you in there, right in the moment, and then they turn the lights out and you're in a room with a monster and it just works on me every damn time, what can I say. And besides the sometimes cinematic déjà vu, The Tunnel has a trio of very important points in its corner: the characters are likable, the setting is scary, and the monsters are freaky. Toss all that together and if you're up for it you're gonna have a good, scary time.

No comments: