Monday, November 14, 2011

Yup That's The Hunger Games, Alright

.

So right off the bat let me just admit that I love the just released full trailer for The Hunger Games. Love it. It's exactly what I've been waiting for amid all these spits and spurts of teaser things. To my eye it nails everything that it needs to express about what I love about the books in two and a half minutes (well except the violence, which will come eventually no doubt). If Jennifer Lawrence can move me to tears just from a glimpse of the scene where she volunteers in her sister Prim's place, then I think we've got a winner here. Once upon a time I doubted her casting? Shame on me.


One of the things that feels especially right that I didn't expect to hit me in such an immediately visceral way (but should have) is the in-your-face grotesquerie of Effie (Elizabeth Banks) and Caesar (Stanley Tucci) and Seneca Crane (Wes Bentley)...


... like specifically with Effie, how out of place her over-the-top fashion of the 1st District is outside of that environment. We hear a lot of Katniss judging them through the books, but sometimes you think it's just her being judgmental... but no, notsomuch.


But mostly it's the sadness and the real emotional heft of the horror of the situation these kids are in that's hitting me right off the bat, and that's about as perfect a note I could hope for them to go for. After the jump are a slew more caps, if you wanna. This is a trailer I do believe I'll be watching a million times between now and March. Ooh and look, a glimpse of Clove (Isabelle Fuhrman) finally!




8 comments:

Jasper said...

Just wondering: What's your take on Jennifer Lawrence that you had issues with her casting?

I only ask cuz I didn't get the acclaim for her Winter's Bone performance at all (but I didn't get that movie at all, really). And I didn't like her in X-Men. And I've been feeling defensive since everyone I know thinks she's the bee's knees. But I've never seen The Bill Engvall Show, so there's that.

Jason Adams said...

It didn't have anything to do with her acting, I like her as an actor - I just thought she was too old and not right physically. I knew she could play younger, I was just being a bit of a stickler about that, but I really wasn't sure she could look right. She proved me wrong from that first picture of her on the cover of EW, though.

RJ said...

I kind of love Jennifer Lawrence, and the character is basically a synthesis of her character in Winter's Bone and herself, so I'm on board.

I would like a Clove-centric trailer.

Bryan Ochalla said...

Ah! I absolutely can't wait for this to be released. I also wasn't sure about Jennifer Lawrence at first, by the way, but she seems OK in this trailer.

Trae D said...

The Effie picture is what's selling me on this movie. I always pictured Effie as a manicured, beautiful, high-society, Beverly Hillish woman but that picture of her is grotesque. She looks like an old woman trying to be young which fits in perfectly with the image of Panem given in the second book. It looks like this movie is going to maybe try and push the subversive polical point more than some people expected.

DuchessKitty said...

I've already watched this trailer about 30 times.
It's completely insane for a woman in her 40s to be this excited about a movie isn't it?

Don't answer that.

Rebecca said...

It looks pretty good. I don't like the casting of Woody Harrelson, though, and that hair he's sporting is an atrocity.

iñaki said...

I wasn't that sure about Jennifer Lawrence as well, but I'm sold now. I really do like her. I wasn't as high on her Winter's Bone performance, but really liked her on X-Men and love her in interviews, where she seems really mature and down to earth.
The trailer is good, too. Really weird hair everywhere.