Thursday, November 03, 2011

Guy & Ben Go Queer

.

Coming Soon has some very interesting news involving the two of them seen above possibly pawing at each other in the near future to all of our collective delight:

"About a year and a half ago, it was revealed that actor Steve Buscemi would return to the director's chair with an adaptation of William S. Burroughs' novel Queer, which has been adapted for the screen by The Messenger director Oren Moverman. Since then we haven't heard much on the development for this semi-autobigraphical story. Now a cast has come together for the film as Vulture spoke to Moverman last night who said Guy Pearce, Ben Foster and Kelly MacDonald will star in the film which Moverman says is about "Burroughs kind of discovering himself as a writer by being obsessed with this boy."

More specifically, Queer tells the story of a young variation of Burroughs named Lee, who is living as en expatriate in Mexico in the 1950s with an alcoholic wife, two rambunctious children, while he also seeks out other men for sexual encounters and relationship. The film focuses on his pursuit of a young man named Allerton and his efforts to find plants to produce yage, which they believe can help people find an inner truth."

Well I've got a new book to add to my reading pile. You know, the pile that will one day topple over and trap me until I starve to death? Yeah that one. Has anyone read Burroughs' book Queer? I think I might be proving myself woefully inadequate (yet again) by admitting I don't think I've even heard of it before. There's a big gaping hole (hush your mouth) where my familiarity with Burroughs ought to reside, and I do need to fix that. Anyway yay to that acting trio, I love them all. And after the jump I'll give you some bonus vintage NSFW Guy Pearce, just cuz why not...

1 comment:

Andreas said...

This news and its attendant photos inspires me to make two points:

1) Guy Pearce in Memento is the greatest gift Christopher Nolan has given to the world.

2) I was very fond of Pearce's mustache in Animal Kingdom.

That is all.