Friday, November 18, 2011

Good Morning, World

.

Those shots above aren't from it, but I watched Newman's 1981 film Absence of Malice, directed by Sydney Pollock, last night so naturally I'm fixated on All Things Newman this morning. He has a way of lingering. Malice wasn't all that good, though. It has an awfully regressive sexist thread running through it - there's a distasteful whiff of implication that the independent professional woman, played here by Sally Field, should just pack it up and find herself a nice fella, but since she can't nobody's gonna want her and she's spoiled goods. But it is always and forever a given that Paul Newman is a better human being than the rest of us, and anybody would just fall into his arms ethics be damned, even as he was nearly 60 here, so that much I believed at least.


After the jump I've posted a few screen-caps from a totally different Paul Newman movie which I just happened to have sitting here, called Harper. I posted some shots from this scene before, but it is Paul in a wife-beater and boxers so I'll be forgiven wanting to post a couple more, right?


No comments: