Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Carice Van Houten Is Melisandre!!!

.

The last thing I saw the beyond wonderful actress Carice Van Houten in - best known for being beyond wonderful in Paul Verhoeven's beyond wonderful film Black Book - was Christopher Smith's Black Death, where she played a sinister witch drunk on her own religion opposite Sean Bean. Why I couldn't see this giving-me-goosebumps news coming from that obviousness I have no idea. It was basically an audition for this.  Via EW comes word she'll be playing Melisandre on HBO's A Game of Thrones!

"Melisandre is powerful woman who counsels the late King Robert’s older brother, Stannis Baratheon, in his quest to claim the Iron Throne. She’s described as a seductive force possessing prophetic powers who’s willing to impose her religion on the world by any means necessary. While Stannis believes himself to be the Iron Throne’s rightful heir. He’s described as humorless and authoritative, with a strict moral code, but is gradually succumbing to the power of his newfound religion."

The wonderful actor Stephen Dillane is playing Stannis, but I can't even think about that right now, so fucking beyond excited am I about Carice. Carice! My beloved Carice! She is going to be SO BEYOND AWESOME in this part you guys! I love everything about Melisandre, she's an incredible character, and this shit will be insane. I can't even type anymore I am so thrilled right this second. AWESOME!!! (Melisandre art via)

6 comments:

elevendreams said...

I guess this will be okay, but I've never heard of her. As much as I loathe Evan Rachel Wood, I pictured her as Melisandre and thought she'd be good for the part. Not crazy about the pic for Stannis. LOVE who they chose for Brienne, though... all she needs is to get fuglified.

Jason Adams said...

First off, see Black Book, elevendreams! It's a great movie. Second off, I have no faith in ERW anymore, so no. Third off, Stephen Dillane's great! He gave my favorite performance in The Hours - his scene with Nic at the train station is AMAZING. Fourth off, I agree their Brienne pick is fantastic.

ASOIAF has so completely taken over my life right now.

breedaniels said...

Carice's boyfriend Sebastian Koch is a hottie!He was in "The Lives of Others" aand also "Black Book", but you probably already knew this. He is so frickin' handsome.

Jason Adams said...

I know who Sebastian Koch is but I didn't know they were together! Power couple! And yes, he is HOT. Their scenes together in Black Book scorched the screen.

Anonymous said...

So exciting! I'm glad they picked a grown-up woman for Melisandre. And Stephen Dillane played an excellent emotionally withholding bastard in Savage Grace (complete with full frontal nude scene--something that is always relevent on this site.)

anna said...

Not to spoil the party, but I'm pretty sure Carice van Houten and Sebastian Koch split up a while ago. :(