Monday, January 17, 2011

5 Off My Head - Carrey the Day

.
I've talked about my preteen obsession with the 1985 horror-comedy (alright both of those are a stretch) Once Bitten before, but let's trot it out once more here for Jim Carrey's 49th birthday. Carrey became a superstar in the early 90s thanks to his insane rubber-man antics on In Living Color and Ace Ventura, but I'd been familiar with him for several years already thank to Once Bitten. It's one of those films we all have that we watched a billion times over when we were young - I could quote it from start to finish. I've no idea why it hit my sweet spot...


But it did... and it still does to be honest. From a critical standpoint I know it's just terrible. Awful. But it makes me feel so warm inside. Point being I've had Jim Carrey in my life longer than you people, for better and for worse (so much worse), so I should be deferred to as an expert. Here are my five favorite performances of his. These shift around depending on my mood - ask me tomorrow and I'll quote a bunch of Dumb and Dumber at you - but for today, these reign. But the first oughtn't surprise anybody...

Joel Barish, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
"I wish I'd stayed, too. NOW I wish I'd stayed.
I wish I'd done a lot of things. I wish I'd...
I wish I'd stayed... I do. "
Chip Douglas, The Cable Guy
"Come on Stevie, time to leavey, It's the fun bus man!"
Count Olaf, Lemony Snicket
"Hello, I'm looking for Dr. Montgomery Montgomery.
My name is Stephano, I am an Italian man."
Truman Burbank, The Truman Show
"Somebody help me, I'm being spontaneous!"
Steven Russell, I Love You Phillip Morris
"Fucking Texas."
.

No comments: