Thursday, September 09, 2010

Let's Make A Fassbinder Biopic

.

Last night I watched Love is Colder Than Death, which is Rainer Werner Maria Fassbinder's first film. I found it a little bit tedious, to be honest - if I weren't a spazz for Fassbinder I don't know that I would've made it all the way through without just a little fast-forwarding. What we came up with was this:


If you've seen the film, I think you'll get that equation. Makes sense to me! Anyway the film stars Kurt Raab and Hanna Schygulla, both of whom would work with Fassbinder numerous times in the future, and Fassbinder himself in one of the central roles as the pimp Franz (fun completely true fact: Fassbinder was obsessed with the name Franz). While watching the movie I took the time to tweet the following:

"They should make a Fassbinder biopic and Jeremy Renner should play him."

I can't believe I'd never thought it before. Look at them!


Right? Anyway my point is somebody needs to get Jeremy Renner's agent on the phone with me, we've got some terms to hammer out, and get this shit done.
.

.

In all seriousness though, wouldn't you kill for a biopic about Fassbinder's life? That dude lived a crazy-ass life.

"In a professional career that lasted less than fifteen years, Fassbinder completed 40 feature length films; two television film series; three short films; four video productions; twenty-four stage plays and four radio plays; and 36 acting roles in his own and others’ films."

Not to mention all the lovers - one of which went from being spurned by him into a murderous rampage! - and drugs he blew through in his super-fast too-short life. And the people he worked with were all such larger-than-life characters! Thinking about casting them all makes me head spin.
.

3 comments:

Andreas said...

How has nobody made a movie about Fassbinder yet? Like you say, his life is prime biopic material.

He was so creatively fertile and brought together such an intensely devoted group of collaborators, working at such a feverish pace that they made Andy Warhol's Factory look barren and sluggish. He was basically the living embodiment of "live fast, die young."

And the Renner resemblance is pretty startling. Get this movie made! (Additional question: What would be an appropriately Fassbinderian title for such a project?)

Jeffrey said...

Haha, thank you for the article. I recently watched Fox and His Friends and thought that Fassbinder resembled Jeremy Renner, so I searched the two names on Google Image and found your blog. It's always nice to know somebody else is wasting their time comparing actor's faces etc. and coming to conclusions similar to mine.

Florian said...

This is also what happened to me (watched Fox & his friends, then checking if ...)