Monday, August 23, 2010

The Proposal & When In Rome in 150 or Less

.

You can tell I went home this weekend by noting the fact that these are the two movies I ended up watching. Oh the compromises we make to be able to watch movies with our mothers! I left the room when Old Dogs came on though - I do have my limits.

These are both terrible movies that are made mostly watchable by the charms of their leads. "Watchable" in that way you find yourself "watching" space sometimes, when your brain's zoned out and everything's turned down to a low hum. Here and there you might smile. You might catch your eye on a bright color or Ryan Reynolds' abs as they whirr by.

But if you do pay close attention you're just embarrassed. Oh really Sandra Bullock, you're gonna pratfall with a hawk? Oh really, Kristen Bell, you're gonna carry Danny Devito on your lap in a clown car?

Offensively dumb, but occasionally comforting. Watching four so very pretty people bumbling around like jackasses isn't the worst way to waste some time and make your mother happy.

Now if these movies had just switched leads and Ryan Reynolds had bumped nakedness with Josh Duhamel while Kristen Bell and Sandra Bullock got frisky, then this would all be an entirely different story of course. In a perfect world...

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA. I voluntarily watched those movies. Largely because I am powerless against the Duhamel, and also because I will watch any garbage that the divine Miss B is in.

I admire your courage!

`Maria

MD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.