Friday, July 30, 2010

Bring On The Blasphemy

.

Last week I mentioned the Ken Russell festival starting up here in New York at Lincoln Center - well it's upon us and tonight I will finally be seeing 1971's The Devils, which has eluded me like a band of randy nuns in heat for years. No I don't much get how that sentence makes much sense but I liked the way it sounded and that trumps sense every time, people. And hey, that's something Ken Russell himself taught me, so this all does make sense, in a sort of way. Sort of.


Anyway I'm happy I'll have the opportunity, whatever I think of the film itself, to see some vintage Oliver Reed in action. Even if he's not doing naked man-on-man wrestling. I can't quite wrap my head around his appeal, but there's some sort of primal beastly manly charisma that just pours off of him and I like it. I like it! Please tell me I'm not alone in this.
.

.
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! You might like to see what I have here: http://scrncapped.blogspot.com/2010/04/oliver-reed-in-burnt-offerings-1976.html
!Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Well he's no Alan Bates.

billy said...

I don't know why I thought of Levi Johnston...

unclemike said...

I remember seeing The Devils on cable way back when I was about 15 and it blew my mind. I would really like to see it again now as an adult.

Michael Seth said...

i'll be there. and i'm excited.