Friday, July 16, 2010

I Will Take One Of Everything

Well this came outta nowhere - the Film Society of Lincoln Center is having a Ken Russell film festival and it's starting next week! And he's going to be there for every single night of it! They're showing nine of his films from July 30th through August 5th.


Most spectacular is word that they're showing The Devils, his banned 1971 film, which has never been released onto DVD here in the US and has been impossible to get a good quality copy of, from all I've ever found. I've tried to watch the film several times in really terrible quality but have given up every single time because I didn't want to watch it looking that bad. It's the simple story of:

"A sexually repressed nun (fiercely played by Vanessa Redgrave) accuses Father Urbain Grandier (Oliver Reed) of communing with the devil after rejecting her advances––and plays into the crown’s attempt to consolidate state power. Based on real accounts of demonic possession in 17th-century France, Russell’s film fearlessly places visceral carnality alongside church and state corruption. Critics and censors went bonkers over its thrilling transgressions (including a naked nun orgy), but the implicit political critique makes it feel as dangerous now as during its release."

Cannot wait! Honestly, of the films they're showing I've only seen three: Listzomania, Tommy, and Women In Love. I could definitely watch Alan Bates and Oliver Reed's infamous naked wrestling match in WiL again, this time on a big screen though.


So so hot. Bigger the better, baby. But I'm gonna try to go to as many of these as possible. Not to be missed if you're in New York, people!
.

7 comments:

breedaniels said...

I won't be moving to New York UNTIL SEPTEMBER!!!!.......*%$#@!(&^%^..............

downbythewater said...

i've never seen one Ken Russell film. now i am intrigued, definitely hitting up a few of these.

Pax Romano said...

JA, those pics of Reed and Bates from Women in Love brought back such sweet memories...first time I saw that scene my knees went weak.

Fave Ken Russell film would have to be Crimes of Passion...remember that scene with Kathleen Turner and the cop? OY!

Taffy said...

Ken Russel is doing a lot of traveling these days because He's also going to be at the Fan Expo 2010 up in Toronto from Aug. 27-29. David Cronenberg is also appearing so that's an even bigger incentive to go.

Taffy said...

P.S. - You've never seen "Lair of the White Worm" ? If they are showing that, GO SEE IT!

Jason Adams said...

I've seen Lair, Taffy, and I love it! I was just listing the movies they're showing that Ive seen and unfortunately they're not showing Lair.

billy said...

Lucky New Yorkers.
I'll have to be content with my mother's dusty old video tape of The Boyfriend...