Monday, April 30, 2007

A Young Magneto

.

Okay, so this post at Popwatch - in which they speculate upon who should play the young version of Magneto, already played by Ian McKellen in the X-Men trilogy, when they lens the spin-off film about a young Magneto's travails - has dredged up a random memory from my subconscious: I do believe I was dreaming about casting this role last night - yes, I'm that big a geek - but I can't for the life of me remember who I was in favor of casting.

Popwatch suggests Tahmoh Penikett from Battlestar Galactica, and sure, he's a fine choice - loves me some Helo - but he's not the perfect choice my dream foretold, and now I'm frustrated.

So I ask you, readers, tell me whom you would cast! Perhaps you'll help jog my memory.

ETA I realized this'd be a nifty bit of help - an actual picture of Ian McKellen when he was young (not that the actor has to be his double or anything, but still):

.

8 comments:

StinkyLulu said...

How 'bout that guy from The Black Donnellys, Jonathan Tucker.

Joseph Gordon Leavitt could play X.

Jason Adams said...

Tucker's not a bad choice! Though, as discussed in the comment here, his newly-revealed buffness is freaky, and I don't see a young Magneto being a buff god.

Jwise said...

Gaspard Ulliel anyone????

Jason Adams said...

I've never seen Ulliel in anything. He sorta creeps me out, though. Which could work to his advantage here, I suppose.

Jwise said...

He's obviously creepy, thanks to Hannibal Rising, but he was also incredibly sweet in A Very Long Engagement, which would play well to Magneto's "softer" side. a nice dichotomy

Jason Adams said...

Crap - who was he in AVLE? I remember very little about that film in retrospect, so even telling me who he was probably wouldn't help anyway.

I should see it again though; I remember enjoying it, but only in the vaguest terms.

Was that the one with the sex-montage and the photo-booth guy, or were those in Amelie? I think that was Amelie. I'm so confused.

Anonymous said...

Lukas Haas is the direction I would go, one one muscular or conventionally good looking. Creepy and scrawny

J.D. said...

Yeah, that was Amelie. And yes, I could totally see Ulliel as Young Magneto. He even kinda looks like Young McKellen, so it works! And contrary to popular belief, I didn't think he sucked in Hannibal Rising, infact, he's the best part. Very creepy. Which, like you said, could work to his advantage.