Thursday, February 22, 2007

Truman Capote Battles the Tentacled Beast!

That sounds like the name of a Scooby Doo episode that never was, huh? Anyway, Cinematical directs me to the scoop (via Variety) that Toby Jones (Capote #2, in Infamous), along with Marcia Gay Harden, are new cast-members in Frank Darabont's already-filming adaptation of Stephen King's story The Mist, joining star/hunk Thomas Jane, Andre Braugher... and many others.

But speaking of Toby Jones, I watched Infamous over the weekend, and am I completely daffy for having enjoyed it far more then Capote? I could never really get on board with the hatred Capote seemed to have for its title character, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman annoyed me to no end with his affectations and the "I'm acting!" aura he practically throbbed with. Jones seemed to actually be enjoying himself, and I thought Infamous captured all the sides of Truman better.

Oh, and Daniel Craig getting all gay? Again? Yes please.

The one objection I'll raise to my own conjecture here is that Catherine Keener was a far better Harper Lee then Sandra Bullock was. Keener rocked this part, and Bullock sounded like she studied Scarlett O'Hara's accent for research.
.

3 comments:

Scott said...

I agree with pretty much every word you typed. I liked Infamous and Toby Jones much more. And yes, it seemed to "get" Truman Capote and his work much more accurately than Capote did. And as Capote Jones did a much better job (I too am beyond tired of Hoffman's constant (over)ACTING - and "throbbing" with affectations is a good way to put that). And as to Craig - he was simply excellent.

And hey, you didn't even mention the fab costumes or the gorgeous recreation of Diana Vreeland's apartment. Infamous is definitely underappreciated.

An Aesthete's Lament said...

Unfortunately, Vreeland's apartment didn't have a dining room as the movie set version did. Her dining room was actually the long alcove next to the living room, with the striped banquette. I've been in that apartment, shortly after DV died, and believe me, there was no dining room like the one in the film.

Barry said...

I have to disagree with you on Catherine Keener. She brought absolutley NOTHING to Harper Lee. Sandra Bullock brought so much more. Her accent was awesome and she actually did something with the role. One of her later scenes of being interviewed is amazingly powerful. Catherine Keener was just dead in the water. Why did she get an Oscar nomination for such a useless performance? Thandie Newton or Gong Li deserved her spot.