Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Ruins Are Coming?

Er... whoa. This news just sorta blew my mind. From DH:

"Music video filmmaker and photographer Carter Smith is set to direct an adaptation of "A Simple Plan" author Scott Smith's novel "The Ruins" reports Production Weekly...

Production is tentatively slated for early May in Queensland, Australia."

Okay, so why is this blowing my mind? Well, for one, I posted while I was reading (and thoroughly enjoying) the book back in October, saying this:

"Word on "the street" is that it's already optioned for a movie... not quite sold on how well it'd transfer to film... it's the kind of horror that could wind up being hella silly onscreen."

I still feel that way after having finished the book months ago; it reads really well, but actually visualizing some of the stuff that happens in the book is gonna be a real crap-shoot. It could work, or it could be totally ridiculous, and I have to say that I think the latter is the easier path for it to fall into. There's a relentlessness to the book's structure that's the most vital aspect to get across; if they lose that, they'll lose the whole thing.

Secondly, and what's really bugging my eyes out about this story is... I know this guy, Carter Smith, who's set to direct. I mean, it's not like we're good buddies or anything, but - because of my day-job - I have had contact with him for several years now. I even reviewed his short film Bugcrush way back when, after getting my hands on a copy. And Bugcrush, from what I remember, was practically bursting with a deeply realized sense of tension which would be just what The Ruins would need to work.

I don't think my work-relationship with Carter will get me any special access to this film, but it has definitely spiked my interest in what happens with it. I'll definitely be posting.
.

2 comments:

a descendant sun said...

a friend of mine was scripty on Bugcrush, which I saw and will say was tension-filled, and not just of the yearning homo tween-boy variety. after BC won at Sundance last year, Carter was admitted into ITS screenwriters lab where he was developing an entirely different script. so him and the Ruins is news indeed...

Jason Adams said...

If this story pans out, this'd be a big deal for CS. And if the film turns out as good as it could, then he'll probably have the chance to do whatever he wants to next.