Monday, October 02, 2006

The Ruins

//
Anyone else reading or have read The Ruins, by Scott Smith, author of A Simple Plan? If not, I insist you pick it up - I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and I cannot put it down. I didn't even watch any movies this weekend (blasphemy!) because I just kept crawling into bed and reading the book. It is freaking me out.

Word on "the street" is that it's already optioned for a movie... not quite sold on how well it'd transfer to film... it's the kind of horror that could wind up being hella silly onscreen.

Stephen King praised the book a few months ago, here's a blurb:

"... Most of The Ruins's 300-plus pages is one long, screaming close-up of that horror. There's no let-up, not so much as a chapter-break where you can catch your breath. I felt that The Ruins did draw on a trifle, but I found Scott Smith's refusal to look away heroic, just as I did in A Simple Plan. It's the trappings of horror and suspense that will make the book a best seller, but its claim to literature lies in its unflinching naturalism."
///

No comments: