Thursday, October 19, 2006

Darabont Is All Mist-y Eyed

.
So I think you can safely assume at this point that The Mist is gonna join films like The Golden Compass and Zodiac in terms of my covering every single miniscule detail I can get my hands on.

After posting yesterday the brief acknowledgment that it is finally being made by Frank Darabont with Thomas Jane starring, now there's official word from Darabont himself, over at AICN:

"... it's a project Stephen King and I have been talking about doing for almost twenty years now, since I first got to know and become friends with the man. In fact, it almost was my first directing project many years ago, but I went classy and did The Shawshank Redemption instead. But The Mist never went away; it's been lurking out there calling my name for a long, long time...and it's time to answer the call; it's time to get down and dirty and make a nasty little character-driven gut-punch horror movie.

It's one of Stephen King's most legendary shorter works, very well known by his fans. Marsha in King’s office tells me it's the number one question asked by his fans when they write to his website (which she runs): when's The Mist going to be made as a film? Well, I've always wanted to make my low-budget horror movie, so here we go.

In a very real sense, I have to thank Danny Boyle, a man I've never met, but whose example in making 28 Days Later really encouraged me. I saw that film, loved it, and thought: Well, why the hell not? Why not go make your scary little movie, shoot it fast, have some fun?"
.

No comments: