Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Bubble

PPPPPPPP
The image “http://www.offoffoff.com/film/2005/images/nyff.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

I am literally (LITERALLY!!!) so tired right now I could fall over dead. I can hardly keep my eyes open, and the effort needed to hit each key to type is KILLING ME.

So if this "review" is short, please understand.

Before foolishly stomping through the arctic winds of Queens last night in a multi-hour quest for the rare Circus Elephant Parade, I watched Steven Soderbergh's film Bubble. And LOVED it.

Bubble got press for being released (practically) simultaneously to theaters, DVD and digitally, but the film itself should've gotten some more attention because it's a terrific little "slice of life" film, and is spot-on in capturing the vibe of Anywhere Town, USA - that is, Nowhere Town, USA, where people talk about their dreams with less enthusiasm than they have for their next smoke break, and work never-ending hours in dead-end jobs, making aquaintances with the people around them while they each stare into space sadly.

So no, not terrifically upbeat, but it does find a humor underneath the dullness, and eventually, a real unexpected horror as well.

It might just be Soderbergh's best film (I need to see The Limey again, which has been my fave of his).

For a better (i.e. less exhausted) review, read Ebert's, he's right on here.
"I haven't made the movie sound enthralling. But it is. The characters are so closely observed and played with such exacting accuracy and conviction that "Bubble" becomes quietly, inexorably, hypnotic."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Bubble too.... I saw it at the Little a month or 2 ago... what was the main character's name? Martha?

-bri

Jason Adams said...

Her name was indeed Martha. All of the actors were so perfect, it's hard to believe they weren't actors at all. The woman who played Martha was (is?) a manager at the local KFC!

Anonymous said...

No way! I didn't know that!! yum.... KFC. She's so damn lucky!