Monday, June 15, 2015

Everything You Ever Need To Know About Life...

... you can learn from:


Grandpa Fred: Creature, what is it that you want? 
Brain Gremlin: Fred, what we want is, I think, 
what everyone wants, and what you and 
your viewers have: civilization. 
Grandpa Fred: Yes, but what sort of civilization 
are you speaking of? 
Brain Gremlin: The niceties, Fred. The fine points: 
diplomacy, compassion, standards, manners, tradition... 
that's what we're reaching toward. Oh, we may stumble 
along the way, but civilization, yes. The Geneva Convention, 
chamber music, Susan Sontag. Everything your society
 has worked so hard to accomplish over the centuries, 
that's what we aspire to; we want to be civilized. 
You take a look at this fellow here. 
Now, was that civilized? No, clearly not. 
Fun, but in no sense civilized. 
Now, bear in mind, none of us has been in New York before.
There are the Broadway shows - we'll have to find out how
to get tickets. There's also a lot of street crime, but I
believe we can watch that for free. We want the essentials.
Dinettes. Complete bedroom groups. Convenient credit,
even though we've been turned down in the past.

Gremlins 2 came out 25 years ago today! This is an anniversary that's really hitting me where my old bones hurt - we've now gotten to the point where I have vivid nearly-teenage memories of going to see movies when they were released. I went with my best friend to the big movie theater about half an hour outside of my hometown to see Gremlins 2 - we didn't have a proper movie theater in my hometown until I got to high school so going was always a big deal. An even bigger deal was hanging out with a school friend - I was incredibly shy and sheltered (ahh so much has changed) so this was a lot for my 12 year old self to handle. Anyway I worshiped the movie then and I worship it now. Wonder whatever happened to that school friend...


No comments: