Monday, February 16, 2015

Sufjan's Feeling Flirty

.
As I told you last week, the first single from Sufjan Stevens' new album Carrie & Lowell, a song called "No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross," has been released today, and you can listen to it right here.
.
.
The album's out at the end of March. There's also an interview with Mr. Stevens at Pitchfork, where he talks about the process of making this record - his mother died in 2012, and this is apparently a deep dive into that complicated relationship. That's all very serious. So naturally the parts of the interview that stood out to me were the ones where he talks about sex.

Quote #1 -- "In lieu of her death, I felt a desire to be with her, so I felt like abusing drugs and alcohol and fucking around a lot and becoming reckless and hazardous was my way of being intimate with her."

Quote #2 -- "Fun, flirty, and 40! [laughs] I do feel like I'm 40 going on 14 sometimes. I wasn't rebellious as a kid. I was so dignified and well-behaved. But that kind of [destructive] behavior at my age is inexcusable."

Quote #3 -- "Some of my most profound spiritual and sexual experiences were at a Methodist summer camp." 

In case you're keeping track, I no longer have any doubts at all about my suspicions with regards to Sufjan's sexuality. I'm just depressed I wasn't there to take advantage of his lashing out period.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LMAO "Methodist summer camp." Only Sufjan.....