Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Little Corpses, Big World

.
Have you guys ever seen the book The Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death? It's a collection of photographs of the early-mid 20th Century crime-scene dioramas created by Frances Glessner Lee, and it's one of my most favorite things that I own. I only first heard about it in September of 2012 when it was announced that Guillermo Del Toro wanted to make a a "Hitchocockian thriller" for HBO about Lee, fictionalizing her true-life tale - I have no idea what's up with that, but if you're going to be in or near London between now and the end of June there's a new art show there that actually has one of the dioramas! Look at this thing...

I would give my boyfriend's left nutshell study to see that thing in person. One of y'all have got to go and report on it to me. The Guardian has a nice piece up on the show, anyway. Sounds fantastic.
.

1 comment:

dk468 said...

well, I'm not asking you give us all the details, but we as the readers have to verify the veracity of your statement... you know every study papers has extracts, so you should give us at least some outlines, right? that sounds fair to me...
so here we go:
Is that left nutshell of your boyfriend's substantially large, or what you call snack-size? hairy or smooth? if it is hairy, is it hopefully ginger? is it sensitive to certain things... such as the tip of your tongue? does it sometimes have to endear a rather pervy practice ( somehow we feel that we know you, by now..) colloquially known as the ball torture? .... I could go on forever, but you know, you get the general idea...
Rofl