Thursday, January 08, 2015

Matty Mounts Monty

.
I was shocked and dismayed as I went through our archives to find that there hadn't been any news of the "Matthew Bomer wants to play Montgomery Clift in a bio-pic" movie since well over a year ago (since September 2013, to be precise) - I guess it's one of those possibilities that just refused to file itself backwards in my mind; it was always close.

And now, closer! Deadline says that HBO is going to make it happen! And not only that - they're bringing in Ira Sachs to write it! If you've seen this year's small lovely drama Love is Strange or 2012's small lovely drama Keep the Lights On then you know that this is very good news indeed. Deadline just mentions Sachs (and his writing partner Mauricio Zacharias) are re-writing the script; no word if Sachs is also taking over directing duties. But I think we can breathe a sigh of relief, with this team, that Clift's homosexuality won't get watered down, at least.

So what do we think? Will Matty make Monty electric? And who will play the other famous people in Monty's life? Like his good pal Liz Taylor, for instance...? (Cut to Lindsay staring at the phone, lighting a Marlboro Red.)
.

7 comments:

http://ricksrealreel.blogspot.com/ said...

I thought Matt was adorable since spotting him on White Collar and I hope he has a great career as a leading man who happens to be gay.

But I wonder if Bomer has the oomph to play a complex, self-destructive star who was also considered to be the greatest actor of his generation, right up there with Brando. A tall order!

Anonymous said...

Me too. Bomer is talented but this will be the most difficult role he's done.

Jason Adams said...

I too have my doubts about Bomer being able to pull it off, but I do actually think he's been getting better as an actor; he was good in The Normal Heart (not as good as people have been saying in order to give him awards for the performance, but good) and I actually thought he gave a really sly fun performance on American Horror Story - he seems to have gained some spark since coming out, honestly; I think he's clearly feeling a little more free to just BE, you know? So we'll see. I hope he can do it. He's been passionate about the project for a very long time.

Anonymous said...

I thought he deserved his nominations for The Normal Heart but that is an easier role than playing Monty.

Brando said...

I am a gay. I adore Monty and I can´t see Matt doing Monty. He is too stiff and every move seems calculated.

Monty was a free spirit a sensible man and you can see that on screen. I cant' see that when I see Matt. But I love
Ira writing. We will see.

Scot said...

I recently saw Space Station 76. It was awful, really really awful. A total waste of my time. However, Bomer was actually pretty good in it. His character had layers and a bit of depth.He did a nice job, as did Liv Tyler. There was some good in this awful movie. Really though, don't waste your time watching this movie. It's 95 minutes of your life that you won't get back.

Anonymous said...

Best casting! Matt is talented