Monday, November 24, 2014

5 Off My Head - Madding For Matthias

.
I keep getting Matthias Schoenaerts' period love-story adaptation Suite Française (in which he's a Nazi that falls in love with Michelle Williams) and Matthias Schoenaerts' period love-story adaptation Far From the Madding Crowd (in which he's a shepherd that falls in love with Carey Mulligan) confused - we'd just gotten the trailer for the former a few weeks back, so when I read there was a trailer for the latter my first thought was, "Oh I've already seen that. Why is this getting treated like it's new?" Well everybody cross my name off their dance cards, I am a fool. 
.

.
In order to make it up to Matthias... well there are a lot of ways I'd be willing to make it up to him, he just needs to give me a call and I will start listing them. But until that happens, I give you five swoon-inducing shots of him in this trailer.





And Bonus Shirtless Mustachioed Tom Sturridge:

What do we think of the trailer? I didn't include the shots above but I find it, um, interesting that there are lingering shots of Matthias' trousers, don't you? Okay clearly I have to include these shots...

Virility is always front and center when Matthias is on-screen, it seems. The movie is from Danish director Thomas Vinterberg, the director of The Celebration and The Hunt. Anyway I think it looks pretty goddamned swoony myself.
.

5 comments:

Murtada said...

I have seen this and Matthias fans will be very pleased. He's lit so beautifully I think the cinematographer is in love with him Or maybe it's just me who's smitten.

Steve said...

No. Won't see it. No one can beat Julie Christie, Alan Bates and Terence Stamp in the John Schlesinger film version. Terry and Julie were having an affair when it was being made. It's beautiful, and very faithful to Thomas Hardy's exquisite book.

Barry said...

I hope that's Carey Mulligan singing that song because her voice sounds AMAZING!

joel65913 said...

I'll see it but I love the original, although the book was torture to read, so it will have some tough competition in my mind to be as good.

Gabriel Oak, Matthias here Alan Bates(swoon) in the original, is my favorite character, although Michael Sheen's Boldwood is the more complex, so I'm curious to see what he does with him. I'm a fan of Carey Mulligan too but Bathsheba is a tricky role and I have some trouble envisioning her in the part but she's surprised me before so here's hoping.

The film looks beautiful, as was the first, Matthias looks sunkist and I love these sort of films so even if it doesn't quite match the original and they don't completely mess it up it will be worth seeing.

Anonymous said...

This trailer is much better than Suite Francaise' trailer. This looks like it could be really good.