Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Horns in 200 Words or Less

.
What is it, what is the inexplicable force, that can take actors you like, source material that's not half-bad, a horror director that's done terrific work in several tones across sub-genres, and mash them up into something unwatchably terrible? Whatever anti-magic it is, Horns has got it in oodles. I feel nasty saying so - Daniel Radcliffe, Juno Temple, Heather Graham, Joe Anderson, these are all folks I like; Alexandre Aja gave the world the first 5/6ths of High Tension (he also gave us that last part but let's not talk about that) plus the Piranha and Hills Have Eyes remakes, both of which are far better than they've any right being. And while Joe Hill's book didn't light my ass on fire or anything it's a perfectly fine, oft-darkly-witty read. And yet this movie just lands with a wet thud, a cloud of flies, an embarrassed half-glance away by everyone involved. Dull and damp and headache-inducing at times, milling between overly obvious and purposelessly vague in equal measure, moment to moment, Horns is a poke in the eye.
.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Hahaha, I had a feeling this was coming. So glad you hated it as much as I did.

KC said...

That's so disappointing to hear. I almost rented it on iTunes the other night for $9.99, but now I'll just wait for Netflix.