Thursday, July 10, 2014

Monsterz in 160 Words or Less

.
I'm not quite sure what the cultural differences might be here, I don't know a whole lot about gay culture in Japan, but there's a cartoonishly flouncing fairy in Hideo Nakata's latest horror film Monsterz (he made the original versions of The Ring and Dark Water movies) that I found so offensive I just couldn't with the whole damn thing. It's one of those instances where you try to convince yourself that any representation might be a step in the right direction - the character is integrated into an otherwise hetero milieu (he's one of three male friends dealing with the horrific situation at hand) - but every time they cut to him he's flapping his hands and squealing in fright or twirling in floral hot-pants and applying lip gloss so we can all share a hearty laugh at his expense and no, no thank you, I don't have time for this shit.
.

No comments: