Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Looking For Sarah

.
I think I must put the section of my brain reserved for Sarah Polley things into suspended animation between her projects, because I know she's going to be choosing what she directs wisely and it'd just be too much torment sitting around waiting for her thinking day in day out, "Oh my god why isn't Sarah Polley making me something awesome right now -- I neeeeeeeed her!!!" So instead I just shut down, like an abuse victim or something. But in a good way! A satisfied abuse victim, sitting quietly in my happy place waiting for the next lovely round.

Well that took a turn I wasn't expecting so let's move on to what we're actually here for - Sarah Polley's lining up a project! It's an adaptation of the first book by the dude who wrote The Fault in Our Stars - it's called Looking For Alaska and it's a coming-of-age story about an ultra-sheltered kid (coming from, and I quote, "an antiseptic adolescence') getting taught to love the world by a bad girl named, wait for it, Alaska. So it's basically Bubble Boy crossed with, I don't know, My Girl? Sign me up! Seriously though that description makes me roll my eyes (has anybody actually read the book?) but Sarah Polley has proven more than capable of spinning gold out of unexpected places. So yeah - sign me up.
.

3 comments:

Row-bin said...

I've read the book a couple of times. It's slightly manic-pixie-ish but it's actually pretty funny and the main male character is actually quite well written.

I enjoyed it more than The Fault in our Stars anyway.

joel65913 said...

So it doesn't sound like there is a part that Sarah could entice Julie Christie back in front of the camera with which makes me sad, but otherwise I'm intrigued.

Row-bin said...

She could play Alaska's dead mother in flashbacks (spoiler?)