Tuesday, May 13, 2014

RIP HR Giger

.
Sad day, sad day - horror surrealist HR Giger has died at the age of 74. I just heard him speak for the first time a few weeks ago in the movie Jodorowsky's Dune; somehow I'd never heard that voice before and man, it was exactly what I imagined it would be. Like a Peter Lorre character come to life. With his work designing the Alien universe (also the tangential Alien universe of Prometheus, and then also the Species aliens) he has given me more nightmares than I could ever count, and I thank him for every single one. I'm glad I got a copy of his book HR Giger's Necronomicon a couple of years ago too; I fear they'll get expensive now (it is out of print). I guess I'll have to schedule a trip to Switzerland to see his museum! And let's hope that Ridley Scott takes this opportunity to give tribute to the man who made the Alien movies what they were (how successful do you think they'd have been without his designs?) and turns the second Prometheus into a straight-up GigerFest. Let's get freaky!

No comments: