Tuesday, April 08, 2014

To Snow You Is To Love You

.
I was just reading the list of Jose's ten favorite performances in Lars von Trier movies over at The Film Experience and he says that we ought to begin beating the drum for Uma Thurman's Supporting Actress campaign in Nymphomaniac, which I totally agree with (I haven't watched the second half of that film yet hence why I haven't reviewed it but as of halfway through I totally agree Uma's the best thing since sliced bread), but in a just world we'd have her competition right here - Tilda Swinton is all kinds of awesome in Bong-joon Ho's Snowpiercer. It's too small and way too wackadoo to ever be a serious contender, but I have no doubt that come 2015 its one of the most memorable things we're gonna see. Every twitch, every over-the-top eye-goggle, is gut-busting gold. As good as the rest of the movie is (and it's really very good) you're still sitting there waiting for her to show up when she's not on-screen.

But like I said, the movie around her's no slouch. It drops you right into its bizarre world and it's practically an hour before you're allowed to get anything even approaching your bearings - I can see why the Weinsteins were anxious to dumb it down but fuck that noise even moreso now that I know what's spooking them; the fun of building on up this world from the spare parts tossed your way is exquisite. And as it gets loopier and loopier the deeper we get, that pleasure only mounts - by the time Allison Pill's cradling eggs and singing with schoolchildren about freezing to death well I was just plain smitten to my core.
.

4 comments:

das buut said...

Oh my god. I've yet to see the movie, but I love her so much for this gif set, and I hate people who chew with their mouths open. This is just so nerdy and naive, it makes me want to give her a big hug.

I'll probably hate myself for saying this when I see the movie.

Keith L said...

The Allison Pill part was sublime! It was all kinds of jarring and ridiculous (in a good way) and a genuine laugh out loud moment.

Bea said...

Er...how was hot, bearded Chris Evans? (My second favorite flavor of Chris Evans, the first being Captain America, of course.)

Jason Adams said...

Chris is great in it - it's very much the stalwart hero character he's playing, but he knows how to do that and not seem entirely bland, to give it heart. Also yes he looks good with the beard (although everybody's so dirty in this movie it's hard to think of sex, honestly)