Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Three Thumbs Up: Matthew McConaughey

.
I really couldn't type enough reallys out without wearing my fingers down to nubs when I try to express to you how much I really really really et cetera for infinity hate Matthew McConaughey's phony corn-pone performance on True Detective. Oh I have no doubt, none at all, that there's some projection going on with how undeserving of all the praise I found his work in Dallas Buyers Club (not to mention that whole gross movie - I somehow missed director Marc-Jean Vallee's gross comments about transgenderism on the radio back in December, adding fuel to the hate-fire) and how grotesque I found his sweaty self-infatuated behavior on the awards circuit. (Don't even get me started on Jared Leto though.) The passion with which I am loathing Matthew McConaughey and everything he smears himself across these days does seem to be inversely related to the praise he gets - the more people go on and on about how great he is, the more frantic my own bewilderment at said praise gets, and the more worked up I become. I'm drowning here.

I realize this is not healthy. I was watching the most recent episode of True Detective last night (I keep watching because there is stuff I love about it) and it probably was the best episode so far - there were a couple of reveals that had me super creeped out. But instead of being able to appreciate that every time McConaughey opened his jabber-jaw I just wanted to throw my TV out the window. So what I need here before next week's finale is a deep breath. A talking down. I hate to even keep his name in the air right now but my sanity, it needs a'fixin. And I introduced this series just last week for this very reason, so let's do this thing. 

... for Matthew McConaughey.

Frailty - It's been years, I really should rewatch this movie of Bill Paxton's (why hasn't Paxton directed another movie since 2005 anyway?), I remember liking it quite a bit, and I remember thinking McConaughey was very good, nicely restrained. I don't know if we'll ever get another performance from him this dialed back since he's become such a clownish slurring caricature.


Reign of Fire - From dialed back to dialed to one thousand and fifty percent - if we're gonna get a clownish caricature, I prefer mine to be chomping on a cigar and slaying dragons; call me crazy. This is a pretty terrible movie but it lights up every time McConaughey shows up (or Christian Bale takes his shirt off).

Magic Mike - A moment, a brief shining moment, where I thought Matt and I might  actually stumble out of the darkness together, into the light. He wasn't my favorite thing going on in Magic Mike but that's a movie I really like, and not just for the asses, so there was stiff (hardy har) competition. And by the time last year's Oscars rolled around I did think it would've been a hoot if he got a nomination for it. Little did I know how fast the worm would turn on that one.

What are your favorite Matthew McConaughey performances?
.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

O
M
G

As if I didn't think I could love you anymore than I already do...you hate McCon too!!! I know that this is going contrary to what you intended with this post, and I don't want to fuel your fire (unless you want me to do so) but I can't agree more with you about McCon. The more others dote on him the less I understand WHY they are doing so.

Same ol' shit...and it was never that good to begin with.

Barry said...

While his speeches at the awards ceremonies haven't rubbed me the right way, I find him to be quite fantastic on True Detective. The show has really grown on me and improved since episode 3 and I can't wait to see how it ends!! :)

Lizou said...

Thank you so much for choosing Reign of Fire. That movie is nothing more complex than fun and ridiculous and then McConaughey shows up and it doubles. "Who are they? / Americans..." The cigar clenched in his teeth, outrageous action movie gold.

RubenQK said...

sue me, hate on me i don't care i hate award show McConaughey as much as the next person, BUT i'm a romatic comedy sucker so...Contact, The Wedding Planner and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. so sue me!

Rebecca said...

I haven't seen Reign of Fire, so I would swap that out for 'Lone Star' on your list.

joel65913 said...

Three is tough since like you I usually find him irksome.

None of these are an unqualified yes but:
A Time to Kill-Where his act was fresh and new
Magic Mike-He at least seemed to be trying again after years of coasting.
We Are Marshall-The third was tough but I found him less annoying than usual in it so I guess that will have to do.

iggy said...

Lol. Love this series so far.

I guess I liked him in Magic Mike, though I thought the film (which I liked) was overpraised. And I wanted to like him in Killer Joe, but all I could do was look at his ass. Can't cite any of his movies prior to that.

Also, those white tuxedos on Leto and him at the Oscars, because they knew in advance they'd be the winners, must be one of the tackiest things that have ever happened at the Oscars.

AG said...

1. I cannot bear Matthew's acting just like some other hot but difficult to watch actors like Brad & Channing.

2. Matthew is not the wittiest guy out there. I cannot even listen to his interviews without cringing. There is this corniness about him. That's why I haven't watched his Oscar speech and by the 'God' drama of it - I'm glad I haven't.

3. BUT - having said all that - I find Matthew one of the SEXIEST actors ever. we picked the sexiest Best Actor winner a few days ago and I agreed with you on Brando but now I'm confused - Matthew has the perfect body fore me although not a handsome face as Brando.

Anyway, all I hope for is him to be in Magic Mike 2 and not try to be an 'actor' for the pundits.

NyleveB said...

Generally yes, such an irritant, but...

1. Dazed and Confused. He's so sexy and charismatic in that.
2. I enjoyed Mud.
3. I'll never forget that photo of him on his surfboard! That ass, wow!!

Jason Adams said...

Good call on that surfboard picture, NyleveB! I amend my list to include that - that's easily the greatest thing hes ever done, bar none. :)