Wednesday, February 12, 2014

TV Just Gained An Angel

.
I thought that maybe if I slept on the news that Greta Gerwig is going to star in the sitcom spin-off of How I Met Your Mother, called creatively enough How I Met Your Dad ("Father" is too formal, I guess), that it could turn out to have been a hallucination brought about my the pain medication I'm taking for my arm, but unless I drifted off into a coma sometime yesterday it appears that this is the world I live in, one where this is actually real news. 

I'm not really sure where I stand on it. I think I'd probably be more open to it if I weren't already suffering in a world where Anna Faris' sitcom Mom has already stolen away one of my tip-top favorite funny ladies  - I literally deleted the Mom season pass off of my DVR last night about an hour before this Gerwig news broke. I tried with Mom, over and over again, but its laugh track, incessant and shrill, broke me. Its baseline aiming-for-the-bleachers humor certainly didn't help.

And now Greta, my most beloved of all, is jumping in the same game? The news that she's producing and probably writing does tilt the scales slightly in the enterprise's favor, for sure. But how her is she gonna get to keep things? We're not talking about Lena Dunham getting to keep all her edges sharp thanks to HBO here - this is CBS. This won't be Frances Ha: The Show - the edges are gonna be sanded down some. Once upon a time I'd have been able to say that just getting to see a weekly dose of Greta would be enough, but if it turns out to be as painful as Mom is, will I be able to keep looking?

What do you guys think?
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She just hit her cinematic peak with Frances Ha and now THE BITCH JUMPED THE SHARK.

Rob K. said...

Don't call Greta Gerwig a bitch, please don't.

Audrey said...

I'll preface by saying I do not watch any television besides New Girl and "Girls," and that "How I Met Your Mother" is such pandering, white nonsense. I'd rather that Greta try her cards at more roles - we know she's work with some cool folks - then go right into television. She could even be the hot girl in some nonsense thriller, I'd still like her.
But then I wonder when a female actor takes a role in a television show, I wonder if it has to do with the perks that come with working in television. The big one is working from one location, the other being a steady income (for the most part). This might be a better choice for her personally, but oh man...