Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Way Way Back in 100 Words

.
Quick, I'm going to name six of my favorite things. And, go: Toni Collette, Allison Janney, Sam Rockwell, Steve Carell, Maya Rudolph, and Amanda Peet. Wow! Fireworks! Quick, I'm going to name one of my least favorite things. And, go: The Way Way Back is a piece of shit. An unfunny, tone-deaf, Frankenstein's Monster of cobbled together surface-level quirks, a character-free zone of punchlines screamed and nonsensical jibberish plotting that never approaches anything near actual humanity. Just flush all my favorite things right down the toilet, The Way Way Back. Just ruin everything with your stupid face I hate you.
.

9 comments:

will h said...

So you DIDN'T like the scene where friendly black people teach a white boy to break dance?

Jason Adams said...

OH MY GOD YOU JUST PHYSICALLY PAINED ME WITH THAT MEMORY

Jason Adams said...

Seriously though, I haven't HATED a performance by an actor I like as much as I hated Sam Rockwell in this movie since I don't know when. Maybe Paul Rudd in This is 40? There's an entire movie just under the surface (BARELY) about this dude being a creep-ass pedophile, too. What an awful experience watching this thing was. UGH

MrJeffery said...

what kind of mood was i in that this made me cry? why did i leave it loving it?

will h said...

THANK YOU. I by no means hated Sam Rockwell in this, but I felt VERY similar to how I did watching him in Seven Psychopaths. Mainly, this is ... fine, but it's basically a less fun version of what he was doing in Charlie's Angels, so I don't get why we're throwing praise at it NOW.

Anonymous said...

Sam Rockwell was the only good thing about the movie. Its hard not to fall in love with him.

Cher said...

That was way harsh, Tai

triggerua said...

I didn't like it, and at some point I started to wonder about the Sam Rockwell/pedo thing also. I did like the Jim Rash character though. There was something so touchingly sad about that part that seemed more real anything else in the movie.

Matthew E said...

On this week of "thanks," I just want to say that I am overwhelmingly thankful that the American moviegoing public did not make this into the "Sleeper Hit of the Summer!" that Fox Searchlight was so clearly gunning for it to be. I was dreading some sort of undeserving Indie Spirit love for Jim Rash and Nat Faxon, who after Descendants just seem unwilling to grow the fuck up or, I don't know, respect more than two of their characters, but I am so glad that basically no one is talking about this movie anymore.