Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Proxy in 200 Words or Less

.
There's a movie in here that's got some fascinating and disturbing and unique things to say, but Proxy is probably about half an hour too long and not quite up to its own ambitions enough to land. I give it credit for leaping, and the first half or so I was really into it (shaken and disturbed that is, but totally fascinated by where it was going) but the last act kind of slows everything to a crawl, and the director asks more from his cast than they're up to delivering. His camera lingers too long on not really convincing spectacles of grief (that's not Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart up there) - he would've been doing these performances a favor with some judicious edits now and then. But I love the gumption it shows in its storytelling - it was straining for a Martyrs-like whiplash of what-the-fuckery, which is to my eye always a noble pursuit. And I hope I get to see Alexia Rasmussen in something soon - she's a keeper.
.

No comments: