Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I Am Link

.
--- 50 Shades of Hunnam - I considered giving this its own whole post but since it's only rumor-mongering without any obvious source-giving I'll just leave it here til we hear more, if at all - Twitch is saying that my beloved Charlie Hunnam is who the producers of 50 Shades of Gray want. I know whomever they cast I'll be seeing this movie because it promises some sexy dude-time, even though it's all so hetero sounding, yawn, so I hope they go with somebody like Charlie, who I can always stare at without getting bored.

--- Folk Show - A fairly impressive bunch of names have signed up to do a benefit concert centered around the music from the Coen Brothers upcoming movie Inside Llweyn Davis, including Jack White, Patti Smith, Colin Meloy, Conor Oberst, Joan Baez, plus several more, plus some of the film's stars including Oscar Isaacs and Carey Mulligan. Even though I don't especially like Isaacs I do know from the movie Ten Years that he is a really great singer.
.
--- Bad Parts - This list of 11 lousy sequels that came out in 1983 reminds us that Hollywood's been a brain-dead junk factory for as long as most of us have been alive. I will defend Psycho II though - sure, it's no Alfred Hitchcock Original, but on its own it's actually a decent little flick that somehow manages to breath under the weight of all that came before. I like it.

--- City Cinema - Nathaniel takes a look at a hefty chunk of the movies that will be playing at the New York Film Festival this year, which I will of course be running around trying to see as many as I can manage during. My top five musts are pretty obvious - Her, Only Lovers Left Alive, The Wind Rises, Inside Llweyn Davis, and probably Nebraska, although like Nat I really couldn't stand The Descendants so I'm a little wary even though Alexander Payne was such a massive favorite before that.
.
--- All Aboard - I don't remember seeing any pictures from Darren Aronofsky's Noah before but here they are, a bunch of pictures from Darren Aronofsky's Noah. This batch here at this second link showed up online way back in June. I dunno, i guess I missed it. Anyway click on over for mostly character looks, including Logan Lerman and Emma Watson, yay.

--- Boys For Theron - I have got to remember to pick up a copy of Gillian Flynn's book Dark Places, which is getting turned into a movie starring Charlize Theron; just now joining the cast alongside her are hot baldie Corey Stoll and that kid who was the best thing in Mud.

--- Pill Dancer - I've been wanting to see Bong Joon-ho's Snowpiercer ever since the cast was announced forever and a day ago, and that only got stronger with the great reviews it's been getting since being released in Korea a few weeks ago. The only hiccup on that road of wanting was when I saw how dark and grimy every single shot looked - I worried that visually it was going to be mired in grunge. But now out of nowhere comes a bunch of pictures, apparently really from Snowpiercer, of Alison Pill (yay Alison Pill) in technicolor waving her thumbs around looking nutso, and wow my engines are roaring fresh!

--- Brother Agent - My pal Sean recapped the new episode of Breaking Bad and also did an interview with BB star Dean Norris for Rolling Stone, both of which you can find links to at his site. My boyfriend saw Dean Norris at the airport yesterday! Everything's coming up Hank!

--- And finally, a good friend of mine just started a Kickstarter to make a pair of short films on the subject of American male circumcision - a heady topic if ever there was one! - so clang clang I am ringing the bell head on over there and give them some money to get these things made! here's the video pitch:
.

.

5 comments:

Pty said...

Hi! Did you know that the new Neko Case's album is is available to stream now?

http://pitchfork.com/news/51974-stream-neko-cases-new-lp-the-worse-things-get-the-harder-i-fight-the-harder-i-fight-the-more-love-you/

Have a nice day.

Jwise said...

Dark Places is, in my humble opinion, the weakest of Gillian's three novels.

Read Sharp Objects and Gone Girl before you read Dark Places, you'll be more inclined to cut her some slack by then.

Rob K. said...

I know what you mean about Psycho II - when it came out back in the day I didn't like it (how could anything hold up to the original?) but it's better in retrospect. Esp. comparing it to the totally DOA stuff we get now. We do tend to see the past through rose-tinted glasses, however.

Anonymous said...

Oscar Isaac also did a great cover of Bryan Ferry's Love is the drug for Sucker Punch's soundtrack. Dude needs to put out a cd.

Jason Adams said...

Pty - I know! It's great isn't it? Been listening to it all day.

Jwise - I liked GG a lot, I'll check out SO then.