Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Hustle Yourself Straight Into My Heart

.
So far all we've known of American Hustle was they thought they could put "Bullshit" in the title for awhile and that Bradley Cooper has an insane perm for it. Well that's all I knew anyway - I kept meaning to look up what the real-life ABSCAM thing was that it apparently hinges on and kept forgetting. But now we know more! Because there is a trailer.
.
.
And I must say that is a trailer that makes me want to watch a movie I was feeling ambivalent about before. I'll remind you I was not Silver Linings Playbook's biggest fan (here's my review) so I have my fingers crossed that this brings back the irreverent David O. Russell I fell for with I Heart Huckabees. Not that this resembles that incredible lunacy per se, but I wanna love DOR again so I call to mind my favorite of his in an effort to conjure good voodoo, is all. And just for the hell of it, here are some shots of note from the trailer...

Christian Bale's bounced drastically between being super skinny and super muscular for roles a couple of times, but has he done good ol' fashionedly chubby before?


Meanwhile Amy Adams look fab in her seventies outfits and big blowsy hair but man she's too itty bitty a thing to be selling me on any convincing rump shaking...

That is definitely not like two pigs wrestling under a blanket. It's more like a side salad with a little grilled chicken on top set under a napkin and tossed gently back and forth. Jennifer Lawrence, on the other hand...

She looks like a glorious mess! Can't wait! 
This back and forth alone...

... makes me want to carve a place out inside my hope chest for this movie to live forever and ever. Yes yes a thousand times yes. Amy's hair! The glares! They are everything. Please tell me they pull each other's hair at some point! I need it so!

I watched a bunch of Scarface last night, it was on the telly and it's really hard to change the channel if you come across that movie, especially if it's Michelle Pfeiffer on the screen. You give me a sleazy coke-whore crazy woman and I'm bound to fall in love. American Hustle looks like it's got plenty of that to go around.
.

2 comments:

Lucky said...

Looks awesome. Those glares.

Speaking about Brian DePalma, I saw Passion, his latest, last night. It was ridiculous but so campy and entertaining. You should check it out.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer Lawrence in any role where she gets to be a wild animal is always a win.