Monday, June 10, 2013

I Am Link

.
--- Tom's Audition - This is "last week news" so it's basically DOA I know but I cannot not address it - none other than Tom Hardy is going to star in Takashi Miike's English language debut! It's called The Outsider and Tom will play a grown-up version of Pony Boy... wait that's not right... it's about a GI who stays in Japan post WWII and becomes a member of the yakuza. I will watch the shit out of that. Twitch points out that they're both very busy so this might take a bit - I counter that Takashi Miike made five movies while you were reading this post, so don't doubt that man.

--- Hail The Hail - Yesterday was the ten year anniversary of Radiohead's album Hail to the Thief, and NME wrote and article in its defense, calling it an "underrated masterpiece." I loved it at the time but it probably is the one I go back to the least, these days. It's not that I dislike any of it - I am mentally incapable of disliking anything that comes out of Thom Yorke's mouth. Anyway I will give it another solid listen right soon.

--- Dr. Coop - It's probably best that this rumor came over the weekend lest I made a fool out of myself for no reason - it was rumored that there were three chaps up for the role of Dr. Who next, and one of them was the one and only Dominic Cooper. (thx Mac) I wasn't sure how I felt about it honestly - more Dom in anything is always a good thing! But I have never watched a single solitary speck of Dr. Who and I was terribly intimidated about jumping into a whole new world of geekery. I mean isn't enough of my brain taken up with Westerosi family trees? Do I need to comprehend the Daleks now too? Anyway today the rumor has shifted - now the tabloids are saying that Rory Kinnear, an actor whose face you'll recognize from stuff like Skyfall, is probably getting the part. Anyway phew, I am relieved. Dr. Who wasn't going to showcase Dom's best asset anyway.

--- Wing Vs Web - Apparently the folks making the Spider-Man movies learned nothing from Sam Raimi's third film and are all set to have about fifty different villains show up to fight Andrew and his amazing elastic buns - Colm Feore's character is probably the Vulture, they say.

--- With Whedon - I was there and it was a delight so I say go ahead and listen to the entire thirty-minute conversation that Joss Whedon had here in NYC at Lincoln Center the other week. What, you have something better to do? Did we all go see Much Ado About Nothing this weekend? And while you're at it here's a 90 minute convo with Pedro Almodovar also at FSLC, about his new flick. I wasn't there for this one, sadly.

--- Lady Beatrice Delights - Filing this away for lunchtime reading - here's an interview with our best geek girlfriend Amy Acker on Joss and Much Ado and all that jazz. She's best in show, for sure.

--- Sir Yes Sir - Josh Duhamel and Lucas Till starring together in an army movie? Yes! Okay it sounds like it's more about PTSD which is decidedly unsexy, alas. Hey but maybe they'l counsel each other with back rubs and soaks in the hot tub and lots and lots of lingering fellatio. A boy can and will dream.

--- Roman's Instinct - Two-time Oscar winner Christoph Waltz (that is a crazy thing to say) is re-teaming with Roman Polanski (they made Carnage together) for True Crime, about an author whose latest book about murder is eerily similar to a cold case. So it's basically Basic Instinct, with mothballs. Waltz is playing the Michael Douglas, not the Sharon Stone unfortunately. I'd kill for his beaver flash.

--- Di Ver Huh - I keep hearing about this Divergent thing and I literally have no idea what it is, somebody please school me in the comments, I'm feeling lazy about looking it up. There's an image of Downton corpse and pretty young thing Theo James in it, whatever it is. (via)

--- Beat Off - Kill Your Darlings, the movie about the Beats and murder most foul, not to mention Daniel Radcliffe and Dane DeHaan getting all frisky, is set to come out on October 18th!

5 comments:

shaun said...

Is it just me, or does that top pic of Tom Hardy look like a head-body mismatch? Probably just the angle.

Jason Adams said...

I agree it's funny looking but it's def. him - somebody took a photograph of that photograph in a gallery I think, hence the weird angle....

Heather said...

This is what IMDB has to say about Divergent - Set in a futuristic dystopia, a teenager seeks to break free from her homogeneous society that divides people based on human traits. She leaves her faction and joins a rival group, where she falls for an older man.

Interesting cast - Shailene Woodley, Kate Winslet, Jai Courtney, Ashley Judd, Zoe Kravitz, Maggie Q, Tony Goldwyn, Mekhi Phifer.

Directed by Neil Burger

bcarter3 said...

Divergent is yet another YA trilogy. When you turn 16, you take a test to determine which of 5 communities you should to join. Each community represents a virtue: bravery, selflessness, honesty, etc. The heroine doesn't really belong in any one community, which makes her Divergent. That's not considered a good thing.

It's in the same genre as The Hunger Games, and it's aimed at the same audience.

Jason Adams said...

Thanks Heather and bcarter3!