Friday, April 05, 2013

I Am Link

.
--- Ebert The Movie - Martin Scorsese and Hoop Dreams film-maker Steve James have been working on a documentary about Roger Ebert for awhile now, based on his wonderful memoir Life, Itself; James let it be known yesterday with Roger's passing that they still have every intention of finishing it. Sidenote: I was torn between watching HD last night (Ebert was a fervent supporter of that film, and without him and Siskel I might never have seen it) and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls in Roger's honor; I went with the latter. To much delight.

--- Color Correction - I haven't written a review of Shane Carruth's Upstream Color yet, which I saw last week, because I really have no idea what to write. It is both a totally unique and a practically inexplicable experience. I could write a review of it like this one at IndieWire that praises it, or I could just shrug and yawn and call bullshit, depending on my mood.

--- Warrior Princess - Renny Harlin is apparently still allowed to make movies (while Genna Davis languishes - what a world) and he's making a big-budget Hercules movie in 3D which will apparently star Kellan Lutz. Or rather I should say it will star Kellan Lutz's body parts on ample display in a toga and/or man-skirt, because why else would Kellan Lutz be hired?

--- Do You Think He Saurus - I don't think this is very surprising news since they try this every time to varying effect - does anybody give a shit about the Spinosaurus now? - but paleontologist slash adviser to the film Jack Horner is saying that the fourth Jurassic Park movie will indeed feature a brand new never before seen to the franchise dinosaur! I loved the Stegosaurus sequence in the second movie - they were always one of my favorite dinos. The Pterodactyls in the third movie were wasted, but then whoever was running that show thought hiring Tea Leoni was a good idea, so...

--- Do You Think He Saurus Rex - Oh this is related to the previous story - DH thinks that Horner's oblique reference to "keeping the lights on" after meeting the new dinosaur means it will be the genetically-altered camouflaging dinos from Michael Crichton's Lost World novel. They were apparently part of the third film's script before getting cut. I should go back and read the JP books - it's been fifteen years or so and I remembering finding them fun at the time.

--- Get Fractal - And third on the Jurassic beat, I highly recommend this piece on the chaos theory in the original novel versus what the final movie turned out to be, and how it could have been parlayed into something really disquieting. Great stuff.

--- Rump Shaker - Apparently a movie is being made that can be described thusly: Cheyenne Jackson gives dance lessons to Jackie Weaver and Gena Rowlands. I don't really have to write anything else, right? Right.

--- Peak Holmes - Benny Cumberbatch has joined the cast of Guillermo Del Toro's haunting movie Crimson Peak with Charlie Hunnam and Emma Stone - no word on who the Sherlock star will be playing. I wish I were more attracted to Benedict so I could make some joke about him and Charlie doing it, only it wouldn;t be a joke, I would mean it, but I am not, so I won't, alas.

--- Plug It Up - I could devote an entire post to the newly released Carrie remake trailer, but it looks so bad - worse than I anticipated - that I don't really see the need. This is the first time since it was announced that I've actually considered not seeing it at all. Oh I probably will for Julianne Moore, anyway. Moretz's miscasting only seems more insane now, not less, though.
.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey. Sorry, but I don't know what movie HD is. Is there any imdb link? Or better yet, a Ebert review on it. Tnx!

Jason Adams said...

Sorry I was abbreviating Hoop Dreams there - here's his Great Movies review of it.

Anonymous said...

Hoop Dreams! I saw it as a teenager on TV and it's a great great film. I think my introduction to Ebert reviews came with the Cinemania CD-Rom, along with the introduction to Pauline Kael. I was 12 or something like that and it made a huge influence on me.

Uncle Mike said...

I'm not as automatically opposed to the Carrie remake as you are, but I just think Moritz is way too cute to be Carrie.

Sissy Spacek nailed that combination of homely/sad/awkward that runs through King's book (except in the book she's overweight, too).

I'll probably still see it. Julianne Moore. Yes.

shaun said...

Bummed about Ebert's passing as well. Also bummed that Carrie might suck. Even more bummed that I now hear in my head "all I wanna do is a zoom zooma zoom zoom and poom poom -- just shake your rump."

James T said...

It's even more moving when a sex maniac shows emotions.
Your reactions since the news arrived made my grief less heavy.
I'm still not well though :/