Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Quote of the Day

.
I'm trying to gather my still-frayed wits about me today to write some reviews of the movies I've seen over the past few days, which includes Stoker, Park Chan-wook's latest. But for now you could go read this interview at The Daily Beast with Stoker's screenwriter Wentworth Miller (yeah that Wentworth Miller); this is actually the first interview I've seen with him anywhere. Seems like he's keeping to himself. I found this bit interesting (and it's a little bit spoilery for the movie, although no more than the trailer was):

The Daily Beast: I know that the movie was written before we were having a national conversation about gun violence. But BuzzFeed’s Kate Aurthur has pointed out how, in the aftermath of Sandy Hook, one of the things that bothered her about watching the film was seeing a high school heroine obsessed with guns. I’ve asked other people in Hollywood about violence in films (Django Unchained, etc.), and the answer I usually get is that movies are different from reality. What are your thoughts about this? 

Wentworth Miller: What I can tell you is that beyond selling Fox Searchlight my original screenplay, I had nothing to do with the movie’s execution. The script was revised multiple times by multiple writers. Consequently, the end result is both mine and not mine. Which is how this business works. It’s collaborative. In my draft, Mia Wasikowska’s character wasn’t obsessed with guns. Fearing she might be a nascent Uncle Charlie, her father had tried to insulate her from violence and violent pastimes and anything else that could potentially trigger what lay beneath the surface.
.
He also says that he actually had Matthew Goode in mind when he was writing the script (which surprised me since Goode only got the part after Colin Firth passed), and also that he's written a prequel to Stoker called Uncle Charlie that he'd love to see Goode reprise his role in. So basically, Wentworth Miller is obsessed with Matthew Goode, is what I'm taking from this. Can't blame him!


No comments: