Friday, March 15, 2013

Everything You Ever Need To Know About Life...

... you can learn from:

Jackie Brown (1997)

Jackie: Well I've flown seven million miles. And I've been waiting on people almost 20 years. The best job I could get after my bust was Cabo Air, which is the worst job you can get in this industry. I make about sixteen thousand, with retirement benefits that ain't worth a damn. And now with this arrest hanging over my head, I'm scared. If I lose my job I gotta start all over again, but I got nothing to start over with. I'll be stuck with whatever I can get. And that shit is scarier than Ordell. 

Oooh I'm seeing this tonight with Pam Grier in person, y'all! FSLC's Pam Grier retrospective begins today, and I'll be taking in something every single day. I am tingling with anticipation. If you're in the city, you owe it to yourself to make time for at least one of these movies! Oh and you should read this piece today at Screen Slate on Jackie Brown, it's terrific. Choice bit:

"Jackie has every one of the arch-Tarantino-isms, but with one crucial difference: his two leads are entering their twilight years. It seems a given that Tarantino’s genre fetishism would lead him to cast the fading stars of bygone eras, but the characters and story of Jackie Brown explicitly concern themselves with the aging process.

 Jackie and her would-be lover Max Cherry, a bail bondsman she coaxes into a scheme to divest a crime boss of his off-shore fortune, discuss widening asses and hair loss in the same disarming manner that Jules Winnfield and Vincent Vega debated foot massages and cheeseburgers. The two characters, Tarantino’s finest creations, are played by 70s genre icons Pam Grier and Robert Forster. Since her days as Foxy Brown and Coffy, Grier has widened in the midsection and developed a bowlegged gait while Forster’s face has softened and a bald spot peaks out when he turns his back. Yet such is Tarantino’s cinephilia that both icons have never looked more gorgeous onscreen, despite being twenty years removed from their ostensible peaks."

Robert Forster's from my hometown of Rochester NY and when this movie came out they held a premiere at the theater I worked at - this was while I was in college. I shook Max Cherry's hand!
.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I have always thought of this as his best film!!