Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Loneliest Planet in 170 Words or Less

.
How far can you step backwards eyes shut towards abstraction and not tumble off an unseen cliff? With The Loneliest Planet director Julia Loktev puts on anti-gravity shoes and walks herself sideways at ninety degrees to the rest of us and dances while she's at it, just because she can, and man can she. Who are these people? Why can't I look away? I don't know, and I can't, and when something happens - and yes, something happens - I've grown so engrossed by them that I can and want to spend the second half of the movie watching them not deal with that something. It's the most hypnotic inaction film in ages! You can quote me on that, Julia Loktev. In all seriousness I had zero expectations for this movie, and walked out wowed. What seems to be a pretty lil' shoe-gazer side-bombs us with a George Costanza joke posed as an existential crisis, and it works like gangbusters. It's a mean feat, this one.
.

1 comment:

will h said...

Co-sign every word of this. I've never been so simultaneously bored and fascinated by something maybe ever.