Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Revenant in 185 Words or Less

.
Just the other day I wrote a review of the horror-comedy Juan of the Dead wherein I railed against its unlikeable characters doing hateful unlikeable things and being irredeemable (the characters and the film) because of it. And here we are today and it's a new day and I am going to praise a horror-comedy that has unlikeable characters doing hateful irredeemable things. Eh. Whatcha gonna do? Thankfully I left myself an out in that review, because I made it clear that it's entirely possible for a film to skirt the line if its smart about it - and I think for the most part The Revenant is pretty smart about it. For one it's funny, and not just gross and posturing. Oh there's gross, and there's posturing, but not just gross and posturing. Ya know? And its characters are complicated, with moments of genuine pathos. And it's clever, and surprising, with its storytelling - it doesn't seem interested in hitting each well-worn point straight from A to Zombie; it wants to forge its own weird little way the way it wants to go. And I wanted to tag along.
.

No comments: