Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I Just Got This Book...

.
... called Raising Hell: Ken Russell and the Unmaking of The Devils, and I am so excited about it. Unnaturally so. And only a small percentage of that's because of how hot that cover is. (I would have sex with that cover, though.) (That could just be my Oliver reed fetish talking.)

Has anybody read it? If you have and didn't like it don't tell me, you'll crush my enthusiasm. Although once I do read it and realize it's a stinker then I'll be annoyed nobody told me, so... this is a lose-lose situation, basically. Unless it's good! And on the back cover David Cronenberg says it's good, and David Cronenberg is incapable of lying. He is the reincarnation of George Washington, you know. 

Anyway I won't be starting this until I'm done with Roger Ebert's memoir Life Itself, which is a slow slow read, but in a wonderful way. The chapter I just read on how he can't throw away books, how he's mentally incapable of such a thing, spoke to me on an extraordinaily deep and personal level.

So that's where I am with reading things right now. 
Anybody read anything worthwhile lately?
.

4 comments:

MattyD said...

I'm tackling Cloud Atlas in anticipation of the film's release (the book has always been daunting but the 5-minute preview to the film blew me away). I honestly can't put it down. It's an intelligent and philosophical page-turner, but it never feels too weighty, which I like. I'm desperately hoping the film can live up to it.

pony said...

I wish you'd talk about books more often! Please, tell us if "Raising Hell" is any good (it's worth buying for the cover alone, that's for sure). If you can, try to pick up Scotty Bowers' "Full Service: My Adventures in Hollywood and the Secret Sex Lives of the Stars". It's amazing, the must fun I've had reading anything this year.

Anonymous said...

Yes please do review Raising Hell. There was enormous hoopla when the film opened here in NYC orginally, and lots of controversy about what had been cut and what had not etc etc. I went to see it opening day being a fan of Russel's. Even with his failures there was always something to see and discuss. Limited pennies so I'd love to know if the book is worth investing in.

K. A. Cozy said...

Thanks for mentioning the book - I've added it to my wish list. I'm a huge fan of The Devils and Ken Russell, and am so glad that I got to see it on the big screen the other year, with Ken in attendance. Let us know what you think of the book!