Friday, September 21, 2012

Gay Power

.
I was only a child in the 80s when the AIDS crisis began, too young to really comprehend what was happening, and thankfully I haven't had to experience the horror of all the people around me turning into living skeletons and dying. But it left its mark in its own way - my earliest understanding of being gay was formed from the ground up on the visual of sickness. The only time anything about homosexuality reached my eyes or ears in my small hometown, it had to do with death and fear. Let's call it The Philadelphia Effect!
.
You might say this warped my early perspective (it didn't help I was raised deep in the trenches of the Religious Right), and you'd be correct - by the time my own gayness began to assert itself, there was a definite dark and stormy tinge of despair to it. I think a lot of people spend high school swooning about their own tortured destinies so I'm hardly unique, but I was pretty much convinced that the second my lips touched another man's anything I would immediately turn to ash.

This led to some bad hopeless decisions early on, but thankfully I got out into the world and started seeing that there were happy, healthy gay people out there. (This was in those heady days before the internet so you'll forgive me for not being entirely sure.) Point being, I have been tremendously fortunate, and I'm able to look at the new tremendously powerful documentary How To Survive a Plague as a new shock of emotion and history and information - I was not there and this was not my experience, but by god these are my people and this is my history. Our history. 

The immediacy of the footage the filmmakers gathered is astonishing - the arc of the story is so thoroughly covered with old footage that you forget you're watching something that happened thirty years ago. You're swept up entirely into it, and even though the story's immense and covers a dozen years it's formed around a core group of characters that you watch process the world crumbling around them and see them digging deep inside themselves for strength they had no idea they had until there was no other choice but to act. They're heroes, but the film also makes it clear that like all survivors of a war they are haunted, and confused about their own place on the other side of it. 

There are moments in this film that are too astonishing for words. Things I am never going to forget, and never should. The anger and the grief, the mourning, the will to never stop fighting no matter how hopeless it seems. It reminded me to be immeasurably proud to be gay. Our heroes kick ass.
.

5 comments:

The Bloody Munchkin said...

This is an incredible review for a movie that sounds just as incredible and I thank you for this.

I want to see this movie, but I'm petrified to see it because of how it might force me to relive the AIDS crisis. Like you, I should have been too young to understand the AIDS crisis, but it was forced into my life. I've documented it fully on one of my blogs. You can read about that here: http://rosaryproject.blogspot.com/

But for a little more background. I had six hemophiliac uncles and five of them contracted the AIDS virus through the tainted blood supply. I was six when the tragedy started and thanks to living in a small town like yours, entrenched in the religious right, we felt like we couldn't tell anyone what was going on. I had a bible school teacher tell me that my all people with AIDS were going to hell. I was devastated. The next Sunday I told the woman about my uncles and her response was "I didn't mean them sweetie, just the gays." Fuck You lady.

Ahem. My family had their own terrible, heartbreaking fight regarding the AIDS crises that we felt we couldn't share with most of the people we knew and this documentary and others like it are so close and personal that it sometimes makes them unbearable to watch.

Again I thank you so much for this incredible review.

JT said...

Great post! You and I are pretty close in age and I had a very similar experience growing up. I was convinced that the mere action of touching another man sexually resulted in Insta-AIDS and a sure agonizing death.

I'm hoping to catch the doc as soon as it's anywhere near me.

John said...

I'm a little older than you JA and I didn't experience any AIDS deaths from friends (I was around 10 when AIDS hit). Being gay just wasn't anything anyone talked about so I kept it to myself for a long time. When I got the job I have now I met a guy who is now my ex and I was so surprised that he talked about his being gay openly and it was just natural for him, that took getitng used to. Most co-workers just accept it as no big deal. I guess working in retail helps...

Anonymous said...

You need to watch, if you havent already, documentaries such as The other side of AIDS, The Emperors new Virus, or watch interviews with Dr Peter Duesburg on utube to know that a grand lie has been perpetrated on all of us.

Sam79 said...

Thank you for this. It's wonderful to read words (free of your usual humour and wit) so obviously written from the heart. We do indeed owe those that came before us a great deal of respect and gratitude. I will make it a priority to see this film.